Venomous snake handling course - Brisbane

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmikk

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
In another thread I recently posted titled 'Does anyone here keep RBBS?' the question was raised as to courses for handling venomous snakes.

I for one would be keen to do such a course and as I am located in Brisbane, was wondering if any other Brisbane members were interested.

Let me know if you are, and if there is enough interest I will make inquiries into getting one going.

Mikk

-Raises hand-
Definately me. I know I won't be allowed an elapid until I move out of home but it'll be great experience

yeah, mate, count me in. i am gonna get a RBBS or two this year. so if u can find a course and that. i am keen as.

I'm in Townsville, but if it were at a good time i'd be interested in coming down. Otherwise, if anyone in Townsville knows of anything up here myself and another two friends might be interested. It would be a worthwhile experience I would think. Saw some Red Belly's today in someone's collection and they were so cute!

Beautiful, three positives in about two minutes, looks like it could be a good thing.

Those that are interested PM me your e-mail addy and I can then keep you in the loop with the details.

Mikk

Last edited:
count me in, i'm looking at getting my ven licence asap, i think i still got 2 years to wait tho

ive heard that if continually milked, you dont need to take precautions with venom, jmho tho

Last edited:
Keep the e-mail addys coming through in the PMs to me so I can get an idea of numbers.

Mikk

Last edited:
hey mrmikk, if u manage to get cotacts with a course/teacher ask them for some contacts in vic could ya please?

Cheers Rick-

I heard of a guy that put a little bit of venom in his system each day (or week i'm repeating a story that was told to me so this is just for interests sake!) and his immune system was great and bites had no effect on him at all. Could be rubbish but who knows? Dif people dif effects? Not sure of exact species though.

Bump.

Anyone else in Brisbane (or anywhere else if you don't mind travelling to Brisbane) interested, there are a few interested, pm me your e-mail address and I will add you to a disribution list. I have made initial inquires and will pass info through the e-mail distribution list.
Mikk

Try Tania Carter from Cool Companions, Redbank, Qld
she runs venomous snake handling courses

Tania at Cool companions or try Martin Fingland from Ithica tafe, Both run ven handling courses.
In qld you also need two refs from ven keepers or catchers along with your course certificate.
I did a snake catchers course last year with Snakehandler when they came up to bris, it was really good.

Good luck.

Thanks Bredislave & Djai,

You are both spot on with your info, I spoke to the EPA today and your info backs up the advice given by them.

The two refs you refer to Djai, must also be from people experienced in handling vens who can comment on your ability in this area, as opposed to your neighbour saying 'Yeah I saw him picking up a brown snake, he looks like he knows what he is doing'.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Anyone else interested, pm your e-mail .

mrmikk

I heard of a guy that put a little bit of venom in his system each day (or week i'm repeating a story that was told to me so this is just for interests sake!) and his immune system was great and bites had no effect on him at all. Could be rubbish but who knows? Dif people dif effects? Not sure of exact species though.

Yeah i think a few idiots have done that, its hardly worth being immune to snakes when your liver is screwed and you become toxic to other ppl. Its about as smart as trying to make yourself immune to gunshot. I think there have been a fare few careless keepers who have built up immunity aswell. It is only really immunity against short term effects all the long term stuff(this is the main problem) stays the same.

I wouldnt mind doing a elapid handling course too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back