Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown_Hair

Reaction score
For the unlucky ones out their, im inviting you to share your venomous snake bite stories....

Its not something Elapid keepers use a trophies.

Thanks Luke but it was certainly not ment to be in that regard. And if people are ashamed to admit to or mention it than it says more about them then anything......

For the unlucky ones out their, im inviting you to share your venomous snake bite stories....
Mate if you go back thru the old threads there is an excellent there (i forget which member), in which he talks step by step on the stages he went thru after being tagged by a RBB...

I dont keep any Elapids,but i do relocate a few from ppls yards etc.The start of the year my neighbour sang out to me,when i went over they explained about a small snake in the garden,i spotted the snake under some bark,turned out to be a baby Red belly,caught it and just about ready to release across the road in the bush when the snake turned his-her head just enough to bite me near my finger nail,after 20-30minutes i vomitted and i felt ok,except for bad pins and needles in my finger.After telling the missus she insisted i go to hospital,its only 5 minutes away.The doctors did a venom swab etc which came back as Tiger snake,which is the same as Red belly,i left hospital a couple hours later,all good except pins and needles feeling in the bite finger...

Why not use as and experience "what doesn't destroy makes u stonger " plus makes an interesting read.
AND i agree with annie

The doctors did a venom swab etc which came back as Tiger snake,which is the same as Red belly
?????
A RBB will return a positive for Black Snake using the Snake Venom Detection Kits NOT a Tiger Snake.
The main immunotypes are Tiger, Brown, Black, Death Adder and Taipan.

Species which will indicate Tiger Immunotype include copperhead or rough-scaled (also known as Clarence River) snake venom. Venom from broad-headed snakes, pale-headed snakes and Stephens banded snakes may occasionally give positive results.

BUT most Red Belly Black snake bites will respond well to Tiger snake venom which is cheaper and requires a lower volume

Last edited:
?????
A RBB will return a positive for Black Snake using the Snake Venom Detection Kits NOT a Tiger Snake.
The main immunotypes are Tiger, Brown, Black, Death Adder and Taipan.

Species which will indicate Tiger Immunotype include copperhead or rough-scaled (also known as Clarence River) snake venom. Venom from broad-headed snakes, pale-headed snakes and Stephens banded snakes may occasionally give positive results.

BUT most Red Belly Black snake bites will respond well to Tiger snake venom which is cheaper and requires a lower volume

G'day mate,

Tiger Snake antivenom is actually used for Red Bellies, Spotted Blacks and Colletts Snakes. Black Snake is used for Mulga Snakes - Mulga's, Spotted Mulga's and Pygmy Mulga's.

Edit - You editted your post while I was typing mine :)

G'day Firepac,

That's interesting. When developing new snakebite First Aid protocols for my previous work place I consulted heavily with the AVRU and I'm almost certain I listed Tiger Snake antivenom for Colletts. I'll get in touch with Bill Nimo and see what he says.

Cheers

If you look on the toxinology website it differs from CSL and AVRU reccommending black snake AV for all the black snake family. but Tiger is recommended for RBBS & Spotted in most references

Jonno,

Collett's bite are generally treated with Black Snake AV

Red Bellies and Spotted Blacks are treated with Tiger

Cheers,
Scott

Getting back to the subject, it would be interesting to hear of bite stories for those interested in keeping elapids at some stage as I'm sure Brown_Hair intended for this thead.

How, why, and what happened afterwards would be valuable information in keeping them for interested herpers. Unwritten hints on keeping, handling, feeding, cleaning and other experiences are always useful.

Last edited:
I agree with king sirloin. I have toyed with the idea of keeping an elapid as a pet, but would like to hear some horror stories first. As stated "unwritten tips" would be excellent.

Tip, have a protocol in place.
Bandages readily available, a phone, a system for total lockdown of the ven area and securing the offending snake. Have someone who can be contacted to check on your snakes.
You dont want to be laying in emergency worried that the snake has to be put away.
Know what antivenoms are are maintained at which hospitals. It just makes you feel a bit more secure.
Apply appropriate bandaging, ring either emergency and make your way to the hospital; good to let them know your coming; or call an ambulance.

Make sure you have a decent crap before you get into a position where you may be bitten by a ven.

Getting back to the subject, it would be interesting to hear of bite stories for those interested in keeping elapids at some stage as I'm sure Brown_Hair intended for this thead.

How, why, and what happened afterwards would be valuable information in keeping them for interested herpers. Unwritten hints on keeping, handling, feeding, cleaning and other experiences are always useful.

Lol thanks KingSirloin

Make sure you have a decent crap before you get into a position where you may be bitten by a ven.
LOL!!!!

Not that i intend to keep venemous snakes but it is certainly interesting to hear/read this sort of information, Thankyou Peter for sharing this with us

ive had coperhead venom on my skin and didnt react too bad just bad headake an little bit sickly in the guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back