Venomous snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragondragon

Reaction score
I want to get venomous snakes I know I can't keep them straight away but what are the best and safest ways to do this. What are the paths I need to follow and what species do i need to keep to get to a class two reptile. I know that you have to have a few years experience in keeping other snakes but which ones do I keep to get rrb or death adders I've always wanted venomous snakes specially red bellies and death adders I won't get them until I'm 100% sure I'm ready thanks for the info

I also want a gtp do I just have to have a snake for two years or should I get a certain species that has pretty much the same requirements

This is the application form for advanced NSW licence. All of the requirements for each stage are set out in there:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/wildlifelicences/aklappadvanced.pdf

If you've only just started in reptiles you're at least a good three years off getting RBBs and another year after that for Adders. I'd suggest joining a local herp society and getting to know some experienced people who you can learn and gain some knowledge from. For advanced cat 2 and above you'll also need references so you will need to have made at least a couple of friends who have that class or higher before you can apply

I've been keeping reptiles for around 6 years but I'm not saying I'm some kind of professional I just really started getting into them in the last two years and I'm slowly building up a collection so one day I would like to add some advance species once I feel I'm ready thanks for the information

If that's the case, I'd say apply for advanced non venomous as soon as you can using whatever family you've been keeping for the past six years (dragons, I assume?). Even if you don't end up getting any animals from that class, it will mean the year you have to wait before upgrading to advanced cat 1 will come sooner.

I thought you had to keep a similar species for two years
That's why I suggested applying using Dragons as your rationale. Once you have a certain licence you can own anything on that class. It's kind of a loophole

Oh ok I see but after that I have to build relationships with other keepers

Yeah :). Applying for advanced non ven is much simpler than the higher categories. It's basically just a formality but they take the venomous classes a bit more seriously when they look at the applications

So what your saying is that I can get the r2 licence for dragons but then I can keep other r2 with out holding similar previously I'm gonna move toward keeping venomous with baby steps I haven't even owned a python yet but looking to get one from next seasons hatchlings thanks for the help what herp society would you say is alright for someone living in Sydney

So what your saying is that I can get the r2 licence for dragons but then I can keep other r2 with out holding similar previously
Yep exactly. I don't think it should be encouraged because the animals on R2 are there for a reason but you seem like you're not silly and you understand that.
Where are you in Sydney? My local one is Hawkesbury Herp Society. They're an awesome, friendly group of people. If you're closer to the CBD though, maybe AHS would be better.

I have to work Fridays so I can't got to hawksbury guess I'm gonna have to join the ahs

It's different from state to state it should be the same as in they should go by nsw rules as they are extremely dangerous and some species of venomous snakes could kill you within half an hour even quicker in some case also there can be long term effects from the bite and antivenom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back