Viperidae(Pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a snake with 'horns', I think it was a viper. Anyone help me out?

Held back by my parents understandable desire to keep their pre-teen son away from a multitude of potentially venomous snakes, I never got much further than books. We then moved to Australia, much safer!

last time i checked we have 7 out of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world :D
lovely snakes tho, have seen white lips in the pet trade quite often back in Asia, n apparently quite popular with European hobbyist

I've seen a snake with 'horns', I think it was a viper. Anyone help me out?
several snakes have "horns", good example (although extreme) is the rhinoceros ratsnake
vipers in general have an almost triangular head with eyes quite close to the nostrils n pits
color/markings, pics and locality would help
was the horn at the nose/tip or above the head region (e.g. eyes?)

last time i checked we have 7 out of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world :D
lovely snakes tho, have seen white lips in the pet trade quite often back in Asia, n apparently quite popular with European hobbyist

several snakes have "horns", good example (although extreme) is the rhinoceros ratsnake
vipers in general have an almost triangular head with eyes quite close to the nostrils n pits
color/markings, pics and locality would help
was the horn at the nose/tip or above the head region (e.g. eyes?)

grr I'll take the bait

You have 0 of the top 10 most deadly snakes in the world...

If you are using the ld50 mice toxicity test as an accurate gauge for humans then you have 6 of the top 10 most drop for drop venomous in a test where quite a few highly venomous snakes are missing.

So 6 out of 10 for drop for drop toxicity in a test that is incomplete and missing some highly venomous African and Asian snakes....It may also be missing a few Australian or American snakes but I haven't checked. Most likely it is.

I can name the missing highly venomous Asian and African snakes if you want.

grr I'll take the bait

You have 0 of the top 10 most deadly snakes in the world...

If you are using the ld50 mice toxicity test as an accurate gauge for humans then you have 6 of the top 10 most drop for drop venomous in a test where quite a few highly venomous snakes are missing.

So 6 out of 10 for drop for drop toxicity in a test that is incomplete and missing some highly venomous African and Asian snakes....It may also be missing a few Australian or American snakes but I haven't checked. Most likely it is.

I can name the missing highly venomous Asian and African snakes if you want.

what bait?
u are referring to Australian snakes yes?
doesn't matter, i was joking to begin with :? got that off google somewhere (and of memory serves me right the number is somewhere around there)

besides a better reason why its more dangerous in Asia and Africa by most accounts is the limited supply of antivenom/medical help in an immediate area, pair that with an explosive number of people & working in heaps of undeveloped areas (forest, fields, etc) n limited public knowledge and you've got yourself a problem

@snakeluvver2 lol too late

Hehe just trolling you aussies...But what I said was correct through...Australia has 0 of the top 10 of the worlds deadliest snakes because deadliest has to do with amount of human deaths per year by a particular snake.

what bait?
u are referring to Australian snakes yes?
doesn't matter, i was joking to begin with :? got that off google somewhere (and of memory serves me right the number is somewhere around there)

Lol you memory doesn't serve you right or wrong because the entire concept is just retarded to being with but lol who cares.

besides a better reason why its more dangerous in Asia and Africa by most accounts is the limited supply of antivenom/medical help in an immediate area, pair that with an explosive number of people & working in heaps of undeveloped areas (forest, fields, etc) n limited public knowledge and you've got yourself a problem

Regardless of the circumstances...The snakes that kill the most people are the most dangerous...and in that way Australia has 0 of the top 10 most deadly snakes..

Their is not a limited supply of antivenom in many countries...It is the delay in arriving to the hospital/differences in venom composition( regionally for the same snake and for a different snake) etc.

Venom toxicity is a different debate...but "Most Deadly/Dangerous" should be pretty clear...It is the snakes that cause the most deaths per year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back