Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: really??

snakegirl said:
bredli said:
My licence's cod of practice says I can collect reptiles from the wild for free.

What license and is that QLD? How much is that license?

thanks Bredli

Just a recreational wildlife licence

RE: Re: really??

ur dreamin sunshine. there would be no wild herps left if that was so which is wrong anyways. i understand why wa can and for certain species but not every joe blow and his dog.

woma's did you have to have previous reptile experience to get the collectors license? and if so how much.

Yes, they did want previous experience but as keeping anything in WA was practically illegal how much keeping experience can you admit to. I had a fair bit of contact with herps through my job on the rail. Each night we would move heaps of pythons and lizards out of the way of the machine so i got alot of handling there. They wanted you to identify species from a powerpoint slideshow to test your ID skills. Lets pretend that was difficult. You do get an inspection of your facilities, in ours we laid out all our reference books, husbandry equipment, transportation bags and boxes. Also the enclosures are inspected for suitability. We did ask for restrictions on our license so we didn't have to have turtle or frog stuff, neither are we interested in having elapids or big monitors. At the most we might try to renew our license again next year then thats it for us. We will have kept the best of the best that we have found and will just CB from there.

well done. have you found many barroni?? also want monitors or lizards do you keep? and also how did the keeping and collecting idea come about?

I see barroni alot. They are a bit of a pest on some stations. We currently only keep centralian blueys and i have the only brevicauda in WA i believe at this point. Will be getting some accies soon, have plenty of ( longirostris ) dragons free range in the yard. Also have kept and bred N.levis ( gecko ) but that was not hard. Currently have northern spiny tail geckos, bhp's, stimsons. We rarely collect outside the pilbara so our range of species we have is limited to what occurs here. The colleting idea came about firstly so we didn't have to pay heaps to buy everything we wanted, secondly as a bit of extra cash. Now we are counting down the months till we stop and can just cruise. At one point last year we had 60 stimi's, 6 bhp, 5 levis, 2 blueys at once. Rach and i were both working 12 hour days, 14 days on 7 days off. Man were we rooted after a month of that, i think we ended up averaging 17-18 hour days at times.

well done to both of you. you dont keep barroni? are they nasty buggers when you see them or are they all different like most snakes? how come you dont collect outside the pilbara if you dont mind me asking? and as in the working hours is that collecting or normal jobs or cleaning and stuff?

Barroni are not legal to be kept so therefore we dont have. They do vary in temperament but most seem to be reasonably OK. Depends if they are in the stations chook pen with a gut load of their chickens they can be nasty im told. Cant imagine being tagged by a 12-15 defensive one. That would sting a bit. We dont collect alot outside of pilbara cause we cant be bothered. There is enough here to keep us busy. Those hours were just maintaining, collecting was done on days off. Have met some great people on the stations doing this, and some of the other takers are cool too. Got meet John Weigal last year at eighty mile so that was good. There was four takers at the same place at the same time. It made for interesting morning show and tells.

that would be cool as. thats interesting that barroni are not on the list. do you know why that is? ahh, it would indeed be alot of work for yourself and rach well done on it all and thanks for answering my questions.

No probs mate. The barroni are labeled as rare or likely to become extinct in WA and vulnerable for commonwealth. Defies logic why there is not collecting to establish a viable CB population before the wild stock declines past the point of no return. Finding these guys can be very arduous as they live in rocky areas. We have climbed nearly vertical creek sides trying to locate one on the burrup peninsular in the tracking program. Gave us a good education on being a rock wallaby

lol very interesting... a question.. we have holes in mud walls in the scrubby creek beds which hold a small water hole (in numerous places) what would be in these holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back