waater pythons not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks-pythons

Reaction score
ok so my water python wont eat. she is 2yo, good size and weight, temps are from 30 hot end (day) to 26 hot end (night). she ate about 10 weeks ago and regurgitated it 2 hours later. she has eaten once since she has always been in the same tank and never had any problems. iv tried many thing but she never even strikes at it any more. she seems to be scared of it more than anything.

any help would be much appreciated. next step will be the vet.

cheers

Hard to help without knowing what your setup is like. Is the basking spot 30 degrees? I have mine @ 38
and haven't had any problems, although my enclosure is 6' x 3'..still, try and get it up to 35 if you can while still keeping a decent cool end.If you dont already have one, put a decent sized container of water in her enclosure- I mean, big enough for her to comfortably fit into. Also make sure you take her out for some sun at least once a week..my big guy loves his hills hoist, and it perks him up for a good few days.

under the basking light its 34 degrees. and cool end is 28. there is a large enough water bowl she can fit in and i take her out every week. my tank is 4' x 2' x 2' she just sits in her hide all the time in the hot end but doesnt move unless i move her. i think the vet is a good option at this point.

I would be double checking temperatures, and minimising stress. Don't handle her or annoy her until she starts feeding again. The fact she regurgitated suggests something was wrong. Make sure everything is perfect, then leave her alone and try again a few weeks later. Remember they can go quite some time without any food.

Quaill works great if something isn't eating as an alternative food.

Leave her for a month no food no contact just change water regularly i had a python go for 9 months without food, if there in good nick before hand it wont hurt them mine only lost 5% of weight in 9 months

she ate again.....finally..............felt awesome to see her do it. changed her enclosure to something smaller with a heat cord for a week. i think it wasa the fact she kept hiding under the paper which is under the substrate which would of been constantly cold. thanx for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back