Want To Stop My Hinding Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cemspec

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have two yearling blonde macs that insist on hinding under their butcher paper and I never see them. I love the butcher paper as it is easy to keep clean and looks ok but I just never see my snakes.

Does anyone have any suggestions I have tried everything but they just barrow until they get under again.

I thought of astro turf or marine carpet but worried about their scales, I am not keen on the cat litter thing as I think that starts new problems. Whats peoples opinion on the vinyl/lyno tiles?

I have lots of hinds, plants and hollows for them but they insist on going under the paper, advise would be great! See photos this is was I look at everyday!!

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 150
most,actually almost all of our snakes,accept elapids hide during the day..as most come out at night,not much you can do im affraid.

Put in smaller hides and toilet rolls! Spotties are very small snakes as you would know! my metre+ jungle still fits in a tiny little bowl smaller then your average breakfest bowl! Also try to fold your paper so it is right down and spreads over the whole enclosure so there is less likely hood of them getting down under it!

Thoughs enclosures are only 2ft their not big and my female is 2.5ft already or 80cm long she is a very big girl and my boy is not far behind her. Neither of them fit in the little cream hind anymore but its there for my boy and the black ones arent huge she fits in it with a little bit of room to spare.

try to cut a cardboard box of some sort and make it small, and low in height. .... it might work.

why are you calling it hinding?
they are HIDING in their HIDES

Most antaresia will hide all day under some thing ,it is perfectly normal and not much you can do , it is happy under there and if you make it so it has to be out in full view it will probably stress all day .
If you want more of a display snake get a diamond or jungle they dont mind hanging on a perch all day .

I'm betting your snakes are stressed. Underneath the butchers paper is where they feel safest. Are you going to deny them that just because you don't "see them enough"? Spotted pythons are nocturnal. Get up around 2200 onwards if you want to see them (it's a general time, they might not actually come out until much later). Your hides are also too big, with openings that are much too open. They want a dark, enclosed space, with a small opening.

My BF and I have used an outdoor carpet for 18 months now with no problems. You can get it from clark rubber for about $35 per linear metre (about 1m x 3m), This is big enough to make several carpet mats. It is like marine carpet only softer. It is not rubber backed and we wash/scrub it with eucalyptus disinfectant then rinse in boiling water and dry in the sun.

When one piece gets dirty we just stick in a clean piece and clean the dirty one. The snakes cant get under it and it comes in a nice grey or sandy red colour depending on what colour theme you have in your enclosure. When it is new we just wash it a couple of times and treat with boiling water.

my antresia hides all day and comes out around 8 at night.. i suggest if you want to see them during the day more get a less nocturnal snake... the hides also seem a tad big.. i have 2 hides in mine and a lightbulb box with a small hole some toilet paper roles etc etc . hides should be a snug fit thats probly why hes under the paper.. or he just likes it..

By small hides everyone means really small! i have two hides in with my jungle and she always picks the smaller one! even though when she coils up inside it she lifts it a couple of mills off the ground! and the hole in it needs to be just big enough so they can get through will a big belly! Also i think cemspec is talken about her spotties being under the paper not the actual hiding bit!

why are you calling it hinding?
they are HIDING in their HIDES

Damn beat me to pointing it out :p.

Anyway your snakes are hiding because that's what snakes do. They choose the butchers paper because it's secure feeling, they like the hides to be snug so they can squeeze in and be touching all sides.

Barno111, it's likely that they feel safest underneath the paper. Why stop them doing it when they feel safe?

They are hiding under the paper because its the only place they can hide, in saying that though paper is probably the best thing for them to hide in. Forcing the snake to be visable during the day will stress it out, so you are better off sticking with the paper.

get a night globe, thay are shy during the day. not at night and they dont like alot of movement in front of them . um by the way its hide not hind.

Thanks guys I am going to get some smaller hides for them using little boxes thats a good idea plus might try the outdoor or marine carpet as well. I know they like to hide all day but they are making alot of mess under the paper so with better HIDES for them should give them the same environment.

Why are you not using grammer. its called a FULL STOP.. lol seriosuly chill out.

:lol::lol::lol:..... yeah let up, sure there could be a reason behind the spel errora

try ou tthat outdoor carpet idea and also lower the hight of your hides and make smaller holes to go in and out of... maybe even try 2 hides at each end for some thermal gradiant, not just the 1... i would be guessing that like others have said they feel more secure under the paper... also maybe people forget paper is a good insulater from heat and cold ( thats a possibility to consider) but i'd go more with the security option... if you try some of peoples tips given and they seem to start stressing, replace your substrate with the paper again... also try infra red bulbs. they've worked a treat for me

If your snakes feel comfortable hiding under the paper I wouldn't be trying to stop them... That'd just stress them out... Most snakes come out at night anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back