Want To Stop My Hinding Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, we try to discourage our snakes from getting under the newspaper in their enclosures, too. When they leave presents under the paper it defeats the purpose of having paper there, and makes it really difficult sometimes to scrub up stuff. Some of our enclosures are stained. The snake's gonna hide anyway.

I'd recommend, possibly, a plastic saucer from a plant pot, with a hole cut in for an entrance. There are heaps of sizes available, and it should let you make a hide that is bigger than that cream one with a smaller entrance, and low enough that the snake can feel the top and sides at the same time. should also be darker. Or maybe turn your hides away so they don't have the light shining directly into them :/ iuno

Also, if bfg23 hadn't said it, I would've. The hind thing really bugged me, too.

Further to my comments about the carpet from Clark Rubber, here are some pics of my old enclosure showing the carpet in the red colour and the grey in the new enclosure.

Attachments

• DSC06312.jpg
    DSC06312.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Zena's Swim.jpg
    Zena's Swim.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 57
Hi Zena thanks for your productive input and photos I will go and check out the carpet at Clark Rubber tomorrow plus get two new hides each for them small and low that should make them both happy and keep their enclosurers cleaning. Zena how often do you wash the carpet weekly? fortnightly or when they have just done a p*****?

My snakes are currently very happy and placid and I want to keep them that way. ;)

I only wash the carpet when they poo. My Diamond hardly spends any time on the carpet, mainly on the basking ledge or up in her vines. You could wash it more often if your snakes hang out on the ground a lot. Its your call. Good luck with it.

I use marine carpet for my children's and have had no problems. Its soft enough for them and it's easy to clean. Does not hold moisture, and is reasonably cheap. Comes in a range of different colours.

i have a costal and he hides all day,sometiems at nite, he goes under his bedding too, even tho i have a **** load of hides in his tank for him, i spent over $200 on logs,rocks,plants ect and he goes under the bedding! lol cant seehow he is streesed tho i only get him out once every few days,hes a pretty calm fella

Yeah see how smaller hides go. My 2yr old jungle who's 4.5ft hides under his water bowl. It's just an average size dog bowl with a couple holes in the side wall and the bowl part sits about 2cm off the ground. They can fit in really small spaces

Well I went to Bunnings and had a look at the marine carpet and everything else they had and saw some vinyl tiles and thought they could be a good idea. I bought 4 of them at $1.30 each they dont have too much of a slippery surface plus got some small boxes which she could squeeze into plus a big rock for shedding, so I think I have everything covered now. They dont look too bad can just take them out and DX them and back in. I will watch her and see how she goes over the next few days and next feed time, if she eats ok she must be ok. I know its not like the environment that she lives in but either are wooden enclosures with lights and heat!

If I am on the wrong tract please let me know, see the new enclosure now.

Attachments

• IMG_3158.JPG
    IMG_3158.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 44
just a thought but turn the hides around so you have them facing away from the galss so they can still hide without being peered at. i have both my hides facing the back of the enclosure so if they want, they can dissapear into them and see no movement what so ever.

so yeh try facing the entrances to the hides to the back of the enclsure or at least sideways to block them being able to see movement.

hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back