Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanharvey1993

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
here is a list of herps we saw at the warrumbungle national park over the few days that we were there herping, also included a few pics

Agamidae
Amphibolurus muricatus Jacky Lizard
Amphibolurus nobbi coggeri Nobbi Dragon
Pogona barbata Bearded Dragon

Elapidae
Furina diadema Red-naped Snake
Parasuta dwyeri Dwyer's Snake
Pseudechis guttatus Spotted Black Snake
Vermicella annulata Bandy-bandy

Gekkonidae
Christinus marmoratus Marbled Gecko
Gehyra dubia Dubious Dtella
Gehyra variegata Tree Dtella
Heteronotia binoei Bynoe's Gecko
Oedura monilis Ocellated Velvet Gecko
Oedura robusta Robust Velvet Gecko
Strophurus williamsi Eastern Spiny-tailed Gecko
Underwoodisaurus milii Thick-tailed Gecko

Pygopodidae
Lialis burtonis Burton's Snake-lizard

Scincidae
Acritoscincus platynota Red-throated Skink
Carlia foliorum Tree-base Litter-skink
Cryptoblepharus virgatus Cream-striped Shinning-skink
Ctenotus robustus Robust Ctenotus
Ctenotus taeniolatus Copper-tailed Skink
Egernia saxatilis saxatilis Warrumbungle's Black Rock Skink
Egernia striolata Tree Skink
Egernia whitii White's Skink
Morethia boulengeri South-eastern Morethia Skink

Typhlopidae
Ramphotyphlops bituberculatus Prong-snouted Blind Snake

Varanidae
Varanus gouldii Gould's Goanna

PA010002.jpg

PA010003.jpg

PA010004.jpg

PA010005.jpg

PA010009.jpg

PA010017.jpg

As we got closer to Coonabarabran we saw road-killed Shingle-backs Tiliqua rugosa asper, Eastern bearded dragons Pogona barbata. We also continued to see live Eastern bearded dragons Pogona barbata on the fence posts then we saw one on the side of the road so we decided to stop and have a look at it. We went over and saw that he had a broken neck, it was bleeding a bit and struggled to walk a few steps. I went and got a rock and put him out of his misery. We continued on and arrived at Coonabarabran in the afternoon. When we arrived to the national park we decided we would look around to see which camp site we would stay at. We drove to Camp Blackman and saw Emus and Eastern grey kangaroos around the camp area.

PA010018.jpg

PA010021.jpg

PA010022.jpg

PA010024.jpg

We then decided we would check Camp Wambelong to see if it was better. We drove to Camp Wambelong, on the way we saw an Eastern bearded dragon Pogona barbata which ran up a tree into the top branches before we could photograph it. After deciding we would go back Camp Blackman we headed back. On the way back the Eastern bearded dragon Pogona barbata had walked down from the tree and was back on the side of the road. This time he ran behind the tree but did not go up. Eddie and James thought it was quiet amusing as I went behind the tree with my camera and he went to the front and then he went to the back again when I went to the front. He then ran up onto a big log and put his head down and stayed still enough for Eddie and I to photograph for quiet a bit, he did a short beard display then jumped of the log and ran over to the tree he was in earlier and climbed up.

PA010025.jpg

PA010026.jpg

PA010028.jpg

PA010029.jpg

PA010031.jpg

PA010032.jpg

When we arrived at Camp Blackman we set up our tents and un-packed our gear then got all our backpacks ready for some herping. Eddie, James and I set of for a walk around the bush across the creek from the camping area. We saw 1 Copper-tailed skink Ctenotus taeniolatus, 1 Striped skink Ctenotus robusta, a few Tree-base litter skinks Carlia foliorum, 1 White’s skink Egernia whitii, and 1 Fence skink Cryptoblepharus virgatus. We then looked around the Grassland near the camp area and found a Tree skink Egernia Striolata. We did not manage to get pictures of any of them as they all escaped. We did get some scenic shots though

PA010033.jpg

PA010034.jpg

PA010035.jpg

PA010036.jpg

We then cooked up some sausages for dinner then got ready for a night walk. We walked about 2km along the road toward Camp Wambelong then turned back and started walking back as it had just became dark enough. We found a Bynoe’s Gecko Heteronotia Binoei first then found a Variegated dtella Gehyra variegata licking sap on an acacia.

PA010040.jpg

PA010048.jpg

PA010050.jpg

We walked until we arrived at the visitors centre. We looked at the notice board and saw an Ocellated velvet gecko Oedura monilis.

PA010051.jpg

PA010082.jpg

PA010084.jpg

We where photographing it when suddenly an Eastern spiny-tailed gecko Strophurus williamsi fell onto the ground in front of us. We helped it onto a branch and took a few photos.

PA010063.jpg

PA010074.jpg

PA010076.jpg

PA010077.jpg

It then ran up onto the trunk of a tree and stayed there and we took a few more shots then left it.

PA010085.jpg

PA010086.jpg

PA010090.jpg

We also saw an Ocellated velvet gecko Oedura monilis run along the dirt on the side of the road before jumping onto a little log. We photographed it for a while then after that we started walking back to camp.

PA010094.jpg

PA010096.jpg

PA010099.jpg

PA010100.jpg

When we got back to camp we had an early night.

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Ryan. I love the warrumbungles. So many geckos to see.

awesome ryan. it was like reading a book with pictures. lol.
i wish i had someone to go herping with. seems like a lot of fun. glad u enjoyed it. :D:D
mel

I dont think i can wait Ryan !!!!! Will look forward to seeing some more pics.

hahaha everyone wants to see them. ok on night 2 we saw dtellas (dubious and variegated) eastern spiny tails, thick tails, bynoes, occilated and robust and some blind snakes :) and stuff like that

Looks like a great start to your trip. The Warrumbungles are such a great place. I hope that you post many more pics.

Regards,
David

Great pics Ryan, sems you have cetainly been out and about these holidays

Those pics bring back memories, i went there in highschool for an excursion. Its a beautiful place

thankyou everyone for the kind words. day 2 will be up in about 1-2 hours as I will have to finish typing it all up in microsoft word and uploading my pictures to my photobucket.

Awesome i cant wait Ryan, I love the Warrumbungles. Id love to get back there this summer.

Not alot Ryan, a few Geckos and a Burtons legless Lizard.And i think a Mulga Snake, but i only caught a quick glimpse as it crossed the road. No where near as much as u though Ryan.

Yeh I was thinking the same thing about the scientific name too Australis...

Great pics you have there though Ryan! Awesome finds! Especially for just one day! Look forward to reading your updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back