Water Bowl Warning!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kukri-dragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
OK well!...
about a month ago, i purchased a 'Reptile One', in-ground pool.A week later , i find that the paint is bubbling :? The following week i rinse out the bowl and find the paint is peeling off! :x now i think that $26 is a bit steep for a water bowl that lasts, well only abot 4-5 days before it has any problems. so just a warning that this bowl wont last long. So now i am going to build my water dragon a 'pool' out of wood, yes wood. BUT... i will silicone the whole inside to make sure it's water proof and i can make it to the size i want. The old bowl was a 30cm long by 4.5cm deep by 20cm wide. My ewd is still small so thats all he needed. So i'll see how good i can make a water bowl now i guess :) don't worry i'll make it bigger for my ewd.

scrub the paint off and it will still work

its disgusting to hink you ahve to do that isnt it.

I have had the same problem and wont buy another. For my jungle pythons I use big lasagne dishes they are ceramic and easily cleaned and heavy so the snakes can tip them over.

Be careful using silicone......only use marine grade.....as the silicone will leach into the water and might poison your rep

If you buy crap like that then I'd expect to have those kind of problems. I use things like casserole dishes. Cheap as from the cheap home stores ($5)... Guess you could foam and render the outside to look like a rock if that's your thing...

yes i am using aquarium silicone and have used that before on a log and have had no problems. May i ask why i'd scrub the paint off with steel wool?, i like to keep a most natural look as possible and having a water bowl with a bright whit inside and a natural outside will ruin the look.but thanx for the suggestions. i'm removing it incase he eats any bits of paint that flake off :( But he hasn't! :D also was very pleasant to go down to the local lake and see about 15 little water dragon hatchlings 4-5 adult females but sadly only 1 male . good to know pollution hasn't killed everything yet.

Nothing more natural than a snake in a box no mater how natural you try to make it :p

If you buy crap like that then I'd expect to have those kind of problems. I use things like casserole dishes. Cheap as from the cheap home stores ($5)... Guess you could foam and render the outside to look like a rock if that's your thing...

ok. was thinking at $26 it be atleast half decent though :(

Take it back to where you brought it and get your money back! Then write to reptile one and tell them of your experiance, the only way to get things fixed is to tell the supplier otherwise many more people will have this issue.

Take it back to where you brought it and get your money back! Then write to reptile one and tell them of your experiance, the only way to get things fixed is to tell the supplier otherwise many more people will have this issue.

good idea! just thought i'd post this thread so people wont have the same problems

ok. was thinking at $26 it be atleast half decent though :(

Nah I think anything under $100 is a cheap throw away item these days... Cant even get pop corn drink and a movie for $26 at our local cinema. You cant put water in a painted product and expect it to last. If the colour was in the plastic you'd have half a chance.

i loss a gecko a few years ago and i blamed the paint posioning the water from the bowl i think it was a reptile one now i use plastic or fibre glass bowls

I bought one of URS's reptile bowls a few years back and the brown coating on the bowl started peeling off not long after I started using it. It didn't effect the bowl holding water, nor did it harm my animals.

I don't buy reptile-branded anything anymore, only because it is too expensive. Dog bowls and ceramic bowls are still expensive but the size difference that is available is much better, and my large snakes get them black storage tubs from Big W. They are big but I can half fill it and when my 9ft python has a soak he has plenty of room and it doesn't spill over the sides

Fantazmic has the right idea, use heavy casserole type dishes... cheap as and easy to clean. If you sink it into the sand and surround it with rocks etc, no one would know it was a dish.... especially your rep :lol:

I bought an exo terra rock bowl, made from actual granite. Cant go wrong with it.
Got a small one for a python hatchy for $14 at petbarn.
dce908cd-7e59-1857.jpg

There were much larger ones available also, you should check em out
Natural rock look and no paint to flake off

Last edited:
i loss a gecko a few years ago and i blamed the paint posioning the water from the bowl i think it was a reptile one now i use plastic or fibre glass bowls

its sad when you lose a reptile, at least this thread may have prevented any more losses. like the picture you got. Reptile one isn't that greater brand, i've seen a silk plant, not even 20cm for $30 :shock:

retilekev81, seen those bowls but by making my own i can make it the size i like. lol my water dragon is scurrying around to catch aphids right now, bit noisy.

Nah I think anything under $100 is a cheap throw away item these days... Cant even get pop corn drink and a movie for $26 at our local cinema. You cant put water in a painted product and expect it to last. If the colour was in the plastic you'd have half a chance.

don't know if i'd pay over $100 for a water bowl! that's crazy! there probably is some 100 dollar bowls out there though! nothing is under $50 these days!

Last edited:
i would suggest take the bowl back to the shop you purchased it from, i am sure kongs would help out with the bowl. I own a pet shop and that sort of thing does happen sometimes,never had a problem getting it fixed but.

hope that helps you a little anyhow.

i would suggest take the bowl back to the shop you purchased it from, i am sure kongs would help out with the bowl. I own a pet shop and that sort of thing does happen sometimes,never had a problem getting it fixed but.

hope that helps you a little anyhow.

dont have tthe receipt :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back