Water Dragon buried itself

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellishboy

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have 3 eastern water dragons, i didnt see one for a few days (not that unusual as one likes to hide) i decided to check around the house .. nothing.

A week ago I saw them dig a hole overnight and then covered back over, interested i checked it out and to my horror there was one of my dragons under a couple inches of sand, he wasnt moving and i thought he had died. Upon digging him out he sprang to life, completely freaked out, trying to push himself through the glass.

The next day, he is missing again and see a pile of sand and i swear he has done it again..

can anyone help me explain this behaviour?

Its pretty normal for them as its getting a bit cooler lately.
They can go a long time without breathing, many keepers have dragons that regularly sleep with their head submerged in their water bowl

I'm not exactly an expert but maybe add a layer of soft substrate like snake bedding so they can dig. My eastern water dragon has been digging a hole the same depth, in the same spot once a week during his 20-30 days in his new tank. every time i fill in the hole he digs it up again! Sand may suffocate your dragon if it's under there too long, but they are tuff little guys so wouldn't freak out about it. sorry if this is no help just a suggestion

My beardies are doing the same with the shorting days and cooler nights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back