Water Dragon Enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaws07

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long I could put a water dragon in a 36"x18"x36" Exo Terra? I will be getting a baby dragon soon and was just wondering how long before I would have to build my own cage?

other people can probably give you a better answer, but my brother in law has a pair so going off their growth rate i'd say maybe 18 months or possibly 2 years?

I have EWD and will tell you they can grow fast. I got one at maybe 6-8mths old last year and only lasted 3mths in a tank the size you describe. Moved him to a 4ft x 4ft x 2.5ft after that. Its twelve months on and I will need to be putting him outside come spring.

thanks for the replies, Mad do you have GWD's also? if so do they at a slower rate or the same?

Hey mate, I kept my 4 Gippsland Water dragons in a 2ftx1.5ftx1.5ft melamine enclosure when they were hatchies. Then after about 6 months i moved them into a 4ftx2ftx2ft melamine enclosure which gave them a bit more space. But then water dragons are best kept outdoors, so i built this beauty of an enclosure for them! Its winter now and temps are down to under 10 degrees, so they are currently brumating (that's why you cant see any).

Attachments

• reps ltejune 089.jpg
    reps ltejune 089.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 179
Yeah that's a great outdoor enclosure python owner, ive seen your videos on YouTube they're awesome. I was just wondering what length are your dragons now and how long did it take them to grow that large?

Yeah that's a great outdoor enclosure python owner, ive seen your videos on YouTube they're awesome. I was just wondering what length are your dragons now and how long did it take them to grow that large?

Jaws, they are about 40-50cm now maybe more and look like smaller versions of adults, not quite sure haven't had a good look at them in a while as they're hiding. They are about 2 years old. They will grow slower in an outdoor enclosure but i am going to bulk feed them when they come out of brumation so they should be nearly full size by end summer im thinking.

Here is a pic of one them back in summer. they're a little bigger now.

Attachments

• morerepsmar12 013.jpg
    morerepsmar12 013.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Thanks, what are those vines going along the tree in the middle of the enclosure?

They look like ivy sort of. M looking for something like that for my water dragon enclosure.

Jaws, they are about 40-50cm now maybe more and look like smaller versions of adults, not quite sure haven't had a good look at them in a while as they're hiding. They are about 2 years old. They will grow slower in an outdoor enclosure but i am going to bulk feed them when they come out of brumation so they should be nearly full size by end summer im thinking.

Here is a pic of one them back in summer. they're a little bigger now.

is there mesh or anything in the gable at the top or is it open? are you worried they will escape? my EWD are great climbers and i would have thought they would have no problem getting out at all?? looks fantastic mate. :)

Thanks, what are those vines going along the tree in the middle of the enclosure?

They look like ivy sort of. M looking for something like that for my water dragon enclosure.

They were are actually some sort of tree that we built the enclosure around. somehow its still growing... the dragons love it!

is there mesh or anything in the gable at the top or is it open? are you worried they will escape? my EWD are great climbers and i would have thought they would have no problem getting out at all?? looks fantastic mate. :)

Yeah there is mesh covering the openings, all other gaps are way to small for them to get through. they let insetcts and other crittern in from the outside, but keep the dragons in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back