Water Python from the Newcastle SOFAR show

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCW74

Reaction score
Hi all

Bought a 3 year old male water python at the SOFAR show today. Small I think for his age (maybe 1.2m)?, but otherwise looks good.

He was very cage defensive (no surprises there), and when I hooked him out to sort out his new home he had a few goes (only got me once, but I expected the reaction given the day he's had ;)). The fella I bought him from said he was a reasonable handler outside his cage. He took a small rat no fuss tonight, and I'm just going to leave him alone for the next week.

My question is: I know water pythons have a mixed reputation regarding attitude; as an apparently cage defensive 3 year old, will he calm down given time and careful handling, or is this attitude likely to stay the same; ie. can they still mature into good handlers past this age? I'm happy to deal with whatever transpires over time - I knew what I was potentially getting in for!

Just wanted some opinions from experienced water python owners - it would be great if he settled down because I love their look and have handled a couple of bigguns that were just so placid...

Any tips and advice appreciated!!

i got my water python a male adult in 2002 he was around 7ft then,he was not used to handling but i handled him straight away and he wasnt too bad he did strike sometimes when in the cage but i ignored this and would grab him and get him out and he got very used to it and would not normally strike from then on.
1.2 m is small for a water python of 3 years.
Mine gets in some funny moods,like when his light globe blows and he has no heat he sits underneath the blown globe in a fowl mood and bites if touched when his temp is below his prefered body temp.
Having said all that he is very quiet to handle the majority of time and has been used several times in modeling shoots with girls holding him and he was so quiet and sat still for the camera

Thanks - yeah I thought he was small, but I'll feed him up and probably keep him on heat this winter and keep feeding him to get a bit more size on him.

They seem to be quite the characters; I'm hoping with some TLC and more handling time he'll settle relatively well, like yours. Appreciate the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back