we are pets of the future, literally

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it doesn't sound so scary, what he's really saying is that we will become less needed, not that machines will take over the world.

i better have a good enclosure!

Maybe youll be put in a tiny, boring old tub. So you know how your inverts feel ;)

But honestly, I dont see how something that can be switched off at the wall can take over the world. Even the most advanced robots can be pushed over with a small push.

i would imagine being less self sufficient could probably be the end of us
back when i was a kiddie we didn't have cellphones, now alot of my peers seem to be dependent on them

awks coz they dont have feelings.......

whew, now i feel less guilty when i fed my old pets crickets and made their kin watch :twisted:

[video=youtube;HpkmtweNQ-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpkmtweNQ-U[/video]

The day I become redundant for anything and everything will not be long before the day I deliberately step off the edge of a 50+ storey skyscraper. And I am serious.
I cannot imagine life like that, not being wanted or needed for anything...Not my kind of life, sorry. Some people love that sort of lifestyle - where they have no family or friends because they're too busy with their yachts and hobby boats and their tourist trips to countries of the world and sipping Cristal champagne while having the distinction of being a nigel-nofriends. That would bore the hell out of me, seriously it would.
Even if I were a billionaire, I would want to be needed or wanted by at least one person as a reason to keep on living. Being unneeded and unwanted would get to me regardless of how much money I had.

I sort of feel redundant, and sort of the complete opposite. I have a large library of skills which are all but useless in the modern day because of all the technology we have; however in the 19thC or beforehand I'd be considered incredibly useful. I can work metal, leather, wood, leadlight, grow stuff, fix a sailing ship, make saddlery, and a bunch of other stuff...all of which for most of my life has been completely and utterly useless when it comes to getting me a job - even if I consider it very useful, I'm still poor.:) When Jobs' redundancy apocalypse hits, I'll be out bush, making a house from scratch, growing my own produce, and making weapons to defend myself and the snakeys from the daleks/terminator that want to play real Life Sim City with me.:)

the human race in general has to be of some use. thats how we are programmed. how do we function without a function.. we would no less useful than apes. less productive than neanderthals.. whats the point. id rather go bush and do the hard yards. atlease then you have purpose in life. life without purpose is the same as having no quality of life . and in my opinion if you have no quality of life you are better of dead

I sort of feel redundant, and sort of the complete opposite. I have a large library of skills which are all but useless in the modern day because of all the technology we have; however in the 19thC or beforehand I'd be considered incredibly useful. I can work metal, leather, wood, leadlight, grow stuff, fix a sailing ship, make saddlery, and a bunch of other stuff...all of which for most of my life has been completely and utterly useless when it comes to getting me a job - even if I consider it very useful, I'm still poor.:) When Jobs' redundancy apocalypse hits, I'll be out bush, making a house from scratch, growing my own produce, and making weapons to defend myself and the snakeys from the daleks/terminator that want to play real Life Sim City with me.:)

sadly in the 19th century you'd still be sorta redundant cause i don't see "cook" and "clean" anywhere on your list
now i'm not trying to be sexist, but unfortunately at those times women did housework and men were, well... jerks...

back on topic, if you've watched surrogates (sorta like an extreme version of real life MMORPG), that's sorta what i'd imagine at the most extreme spectrum possible
oh well, bring on the robot war :evil:

sadly in the 19th century you'd still be sorta redundant cause i don't see "cook" and "clean" anywhere on your list
now i'm not trying to be sexist, but unfortunately at those times women did housework and men were, well... jerks...

back on topic, if you've watched surrogates (sorta like an extreme version of real life MMORPG), that's sorta what i'd imagine at the most extreme spectrum possible
oh well, bring on the robot war :evil:
I am more keen for a "Gamer" movie style technology control of the world. Thing is if robots did take over their programming could only last so long before something happened to stop them Y2K all over again. And there would be a simple solution. EMP.... bye bye evil comanders.. :)

Not always; that was the stereotype, and of course usually true, but a surprising number of Victorian (as well as in the centuries earlier) women lived very unconventional lives. Once you start looking into the exceptions to the rule, they did exist (history/gender studies student). Being descended from a combination of suffragettes and admiralty, I almost consider it a family duty to be unconventional and adventurous. I think it's in the blood.:)

We're seeing humans become more and more useless; only recently there was a paper published indicating that people from first world countries were becoming less able to find their way around, as we're increasingly reliant on GPS and stop looking around at landmarks. It's freaking nuts. increasingly litigational society means that so many people are simply not allowed to do things like their own plumbing, wiring, building their own houses, doing their own repairs. Qualified professionals are required for all the things that even in my youth, you simply had the skills for yourself. Now no-one knows how to do anything. It fair does my head in.

Not always; that was the stereotype, and of course usually true, but a surprising number of Victorian (as well as in the centuries earlier) women lived very unconventional lives. Once you start looking into the exceptions to the rule, they did exist (history/gender studies student). Being descended from a combination of suffragettes and admiralty, I almost consider it a family duty to be unconventional and adventurous. I think it's in the blood.:)

lol very nice, its always good to see a girl whose not afraid to get down and dirty instead of worrying about nails and make up

We're seeing humans become more and more useless; only recently there was a paper published indicating that people from first world countries were becoming less able to find their way around, as we're increasingly reliant on GPS and stop looking around at landmarks. It's freaking nuts. increasingly litigational society means that so many people are simply not allowed to do things like their own plumbing, wiring, building their own houses, doing their own repairs. Qualified professionals are required for all the things that even in my youth, you simply had the skills for yourself. Now no-one knows how to do anything. It fair does my head in.

well there goes "survival of the fittest"
and hello to stuff like planking :p

lol very nice, its always good to see a girl whose not afraid to get down and dirty instead of worrying about nails and make up

Yeah, I don't actually know any princesses. They drive me mental. I like make-up though. And nice shoes. There's a place for both adventure and frivolity, I think.:) Increasingly I've noticed guys are getting the same though. In both of my jobs, women are way more likely to give something out of their comfort zone a go, like going up in the rigging or milking a cow, than guys are. City guys don't get to get grotty, and it seems they're too afraid of failing to try new things. I'm always pleased to see *anyone*, male or female, who endeavours to try new things and learn how to look after themselves. It's rare, but it leads to far more capable and confident and well-rounded people in general. Culture has lot to answer for, in terms of convincing us who we're supposed to be, gender-wise. It's not doing either sex and favours. But that's a whole, non-herp-related can of worms, isn't it.:)

lwell there goes "survival of the fittest"
and hello to stuff like planking :p

Oooh, planking. It's the harbinger of the End Times.:/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back