Weird mark on snake skin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay-Nik

Reaction score
Hoping that I could get some information on this. I have had my snake for about 2 months his an albino Darwin Carpet python, I only just fed him today and just after feeding him I was fixing up his enclosure and noticed this weird mark about 3cm down from his head. I don't know what to make of it, it kind of looks like a burn but he's enclosure temperature is always monitored so its always sitting on the correct temperatures needed. When he was feeding it sort of looked like he was biting himself but he's jaw was only rubbing up the side of his scales. I have taken a photo (not very good one) but im hoping it's decent enough to see what is wrong with his scales. Please PM me if the image does not work.
13692868144091[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20130523_144713.jpg
    20130523_144713.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 271
Hope someone pops in and gives you some info. I have no idea but will be interested in the replies

I really don't know what it is, he doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but im going to take him to the vet to make sure it's not something to worry about

Edit
Appointment booked on Tuesday

Last edited:
I'm thinking he had rubbed his own skin off to the next layer, that's just what it looks like, it feels rough too

Could it be a scar left from a bit of retained shed from before? It doesn't look like scale rot to me.

If you are that worried by it, you are doing the right thing by taking it to a vet.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Its a bit of left over shed IMO. spray some water on it, let it soak like a scab and I bet it will rub off. My gtp gets it every now and then. Has almost the exact same spot at the moment.

Last edited:
But the last time he shed it was a perfect shed, no problems, although I will give it a bit of spray and see how it looks in the next few days.
What ever it is I just hope it's not to serious, he is my very first snake and definitely one of the best choices iv made. He shed on 22/04 that's what makes me worry cause it only appeared after he was fed

Also Mitch are you able to send me a photo of the spot?

Last edited:
Just got back from the vet. I had nothing to worry about, I also got him a health checkup while we were there, his a healthy snake.

The lady I spoke to at the vet said it looked like he had rubbed his skin off somehow and by the looks of it he had made the scales sit over each other, it's nothing to serious, it should heal up nicely, but if it doesn't go away and come off in the next shed then I have to go back to the vet to get it checked out. The lady recommended me to take out the green plastic trellis, so if anyone has that stuff in there enclosures, it's probably best to remove it so they don't have the same problem my snake has now. It's better safe then sorry. His a good little snake I'd hate to see something bad happen to him, let alone anyone else's reptiles.

If there's any more question's don't hesitate to ask :)

Thats great. The plastic trellis is quite commonly used for hatchies and as far as Im aware it doesnt cause any issues, did the vet say why you should remove it? Also is it a general vet or a reptile vet?

Thats great. The plastic trellis is quite commonly used for hatchies and as far as Im aware it doesnt cause any issues, did the vet say why you should remove it? Also is it a general vet or a reptile vet?

I'm Shay-Nik's sibling, she hasn't been on today so I'm replying for her, hope you don't mind. The vet was an exotics vet, one of the ladies at Brisbane Birds and Exotics, Dr Sasha Miles. She advised us to remove it as the mark could have been cause by it, as he had a habit of wrapping himself fairly tightly around it. If other people haven't noticed any issues with using it, I can't really see a reason to remove it. We removed it only on the basis that it could have been what caused the mark, the other culprit could have been the section of plastic vine in his enclosure, though I've never personally seen him wrapped around it. The mark only became apparent when he finished eating, so perhaps the act of consuming a hopper mouse encouraged the injured scales to 'stand up' so to speak.

Jancsi-Lee appears healthy and the mouth swab the vet took came back clean. The mark has all but disappeared and his behaviour hasn't changed. We were advised that if the mark returned, or if it showed any signs of infection or puss like substances to take him back, however it looks like the mark was nothing to worry about. He is a charming young darwin, a really great handler. It's relieving to know that he wasn't sick or badly hurt.

I know many people use it for hatchies, I was a bit clueless to why it could be the course of his problem, the vet is called Brisbane Bird and Exotics veterinary service. The lady I spoke to was Dr Sasha. She was pretty good. I removed the trellis anyway, I don't want my snake to have any more problems related to this. She said that it's best I did remove it because it's quite sharp depending what type you got

So it couldve been a sharp egde from when the plastic was molded... I see.
The photo quality wasnt the best and it was hard to see the extent of the scale damage. Did it look like they had been lifted a bit from the back edge?

Are you just using dowels for a perch now?

It was really hard to get a photo of it because he wouldn't keep still his a little camera shy, it just wouldn't focus on him. Yes im using the long stick off a wooden spoon, its safe and easy to keep clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back