Well will you look @ what they found ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
The little boy down the road from me woke me up this morning waving IMG_3149.jpg <this in my face saying "Look I got a snake Look Look " . At first fuzzy eyed look I thought damn he's got an albino (thinking python) , then after second glance I thought "oh god its a snow corn snake how am I going to tell him that LEGALLY this gorgeous lil guy has to be put down" ?

This is a Snow Corn Snake, yes ???

Should I pretend I never saw it ??? Or should I dob this awesome terribly excited now very happy little boy in ???

Why are Corn Snakes illegal ?
Are they dangerous ? if so how and what to ?

Help ???????????????

P.S sorry thought Id just add he said he found it in his mums vegie garden ( huge vegie garden) and it came right to his hand ....

If it is a corn snake it's illegal because it isn't native to Australia. The reason it would have been so reasonable when being handled is because it was probably an illegally owned pet who has escaped

Personally, I think he has to know. Now.
And either you should contact the relevant authorities, or his parents should.

If he wants a snake, he should apply for a licence and get one legally.

Just my opinion :)

im going to assume alot of people will say dop him in and stuff. maybe educate him on the fact that he cant keep it and see if he would do the right thing and if he didnt then maybe let the authorities know about it. if you feel guilty afterwards maybe by him a cheap snake to make up for it, or if you breed snakes let him have a hatchie :)

ps if he doesnt want the free snake ill take it off ur hands 4 u ;)

And probably also tell his parents to tell him not to pick up random snakes. Good thing it's just a corn, that could have ended badly.
Poor kid is going to be bummed out, but they're really bad for the environment and they reproduce too easily in our eco system. They are a pest, it's unfortunate but it's got to go.

I know theyre illegal cause theyre not native but y does that mean their illegal , sorry maybe a stupid question but I cant get my head around , y they are illegal just because theyre not native ??? and also are they dangerousif yes how ? ? im hoping to use the dangerous as a way of getting the parents to get rid of it .....

They're americas most popular pet snake, they're friendly by nature, as far as I'm aware they just aren't allowed due to not being native. Tough position to be in I guess.

It's a constrictor so it's just as dangerous to people as any of our pythons. It is illegal because if people own them some will inevitably escape (like this one) and have the potential to take over and damage natural ecosystems (like the cane toad).
Have a look at what Burmese Pythons are doing to the Everglades in America

They're americas most popular pet snake, they're friendly by nature, as far as I'm aware they just aren't allowed due to not being native. Tough position to be in I guess.

So what do they do with the friendly by nature most popular american pet snake if handed in in australia ????? god im not going to like this answer am i ?

It's a constrictor so it's just as dangerous to people as any of our pythons. It is illegal because if people own them some will inevitably escape (like this one) and have the potential to take over and damage natural ecosystems (like the cane toad).
Have a look at what Burmese Pythons are doing to the Everglades in America

okay valid reasons , damn ! :(

Speak to the parents, no need to dob the poor little bugger in. The kids obviously keen, explain the fact the animal is illegal to keep and if caught they could be facing a fine. Recommend they get him something native (and legal), you can pick up almost anything for next to nothing now.

Getting a visit from the authorities is a good way to crush any enthusiasm he may have, been there done that ;)

Speak to the parents, no need to dob the poor little bugger in. The kids obviously keen, explain the fact the animal is illegal to keep and if caught they could be facing a fine. Recommend they get him something native (and legal), you can pick up almost anything for next to nothing now.

Getting a visit from the authorities is a good way to crush any enthusiasm he may have, been there done that ;)

thats how I felt and if theyre just going to put it down seems so mean !

great snakes, they make good pets... let him keep it :)

Gee, I wonder what "the boy from down the road" will find next...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back