What a night!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bel03

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I received a phone call from a friend yesterday arvo, she had attended one of her rental properties after the tenants decided to do a runner......they left behind their pregnant blue cattle dog, she called to ask if i could help her figure out what she should do, as she said the mother was panting very heavily & looked as though she could be in labour. It took me just over an hour to reach her, & in this time mum had one pup. After waiting another half an hour it was quite obvious to me she was having trouble so i rushed her to the vet........where they then done an emergency c-section. 2 & a half grand later, 15 puppies, 13 of which survived, a massive litter for this girl! I have decided to take them on, she cannot take care of all pups on her own, so i have split them in 2 groups & am alternating them on & off mum.......& assist feeding 2 of the really tiny ones. It was a very long night, but all seems ok so far! I will post pics shortly, it looks as though dad is a rotty, not a perfect mix, but im hoping these guys will all pull through, she is doing an amazing job!

Ive cooked up some chicken breast & brown rice this morning, & mixed in some egg, aswell as got her some puppy food.......any other ideas on what i can feed mum to help keep her strength up would be very appreciated.

I apologise for the essay!!

wow Bel, what a night. I dont envy you at all, little puppies are as bad as new born babies lol...

Id get her some good quality pet mince and mix it with cooked rice/pasta and feed her at least 2 times a day.

You're an angel...these little dogs are so lucky
Good wishes with raising them and finding homes
Hope mumma dog is ok
Cheers
Sandee :)

That's a fair bit to take on, good on you!

Good on ya bel.

Atleast selling the pups at $200 a pop ( see what i did there :) ) will almost cover the bet bills.

oh and bel, the puppies that you are keeping off her, make sure they have a heat mat... When i bred my bulldog she wasnt a good mum and kept kicking the little ones of to the side, i tried to intervene, but the pups got too cold, even though it was the middle of summer, and ended up freezing. We lost 2 of them that way, another she crushed during the night, and one she rejected during the night. They were all the small ones.

wow! u must be exhausted. What a big heart u have :)

I would be feeding mum up on some good red meat.....and giving her lots of love. Im sure she will be fine after spending some time with you.

Our Tia went thru a similar situation when we got her....it knocked her for a six but she came thru. poor thing ended up with mastitis and was sore and sorry for a while but all ended well. I remember holding heat packs on her sore nipples and thinking what a holes the previous owners were. long story but anyway goodluck! keep us posted.

Thanks guys, you are amazing! Sarah, i will be feeding her morning & night, plus leaving dry puppy food for her at all times & i bought 2 heat pads which are for whichever group are not with mum. I also got mum a calcium supplement which im giving her morning & night & painkillers, which thankfully she lets me put down her throat without a hassle! I have bred staffy's in the past, so its not all new to me, but any extra advice is always helpful! I know i have taken on quite a demanding task, but i cant help it! My heart aches at the thought that someone just left them, it is terrible! The 2 puppies that we lost were stuck, if she wasnt taken to the vet when she was, we would have lost her & the pups, so im just happy i made it in time!

Beard, im not holding my breath on recouping costs, i will just be happy to find them nice homes when the time comes.......hubby doesnt really agree with what i have spent so far......but he'll be right......he has to be, i have a long way to go yet!! The 2 tiny ones are drinking from bottles well, & i will leave these 2 alone on mum for a bit longer each day to give them more of a chance!

Good on you bel,i've bred dogs for a fair while now and find that the best way to keep weight on the whelping bitch is puppy food,dry,canned and pup milk mixed together.Don't know if you could get your hands on some bulk chicken necks,they help to.if there's a steggles or something like that close to you they are really cheap(20kg for $22) or try your buthcer.

Thanks Ranga. Yep, i have all the puppy food, plus the chicken breast & rice mix i cooked up at 2am! I also do have chicken necks, my dogs love them, but will go down & get a bulk lot today. Red meat......i have some steak in the fridge, hubby may not be impressed, as im planning on giving that to her for dinner, but shld i give that to her raw or cooked?

Sarah, i would love to have your princess to help, i hope she is better. I have 2 that dont want to go to school!! :p

Raw it is then, thanks again Sarah. Id better cook something special for hubby tonight, he might kill me!! :lol:

Oh god, i dont know how im going to find the time to fit cleaning in........i might just have to throw everything in a pile & burn it!! :p

Im just letting mum have a feed & a stretch, once ive got her sorted again, i will post some pics! Wish you could smell the puppy breath in pics! So cute!

Oh god, i dont know how im going to find the time to fit cleaning in........i might just have to throw everything in a pile & burn it!! :p

Im just letting mum have a feed & a stretch, once ive got her sorted again, i will post some pics! Wish you could smell the puppy breath in pics! So cute!

'Thats the best smell hey!

ill think of you as i am drinking a bottle of rum and cleaning the house!!

Don't cook any of the meat you give her, dunno if it's been said but it's denatured protein. Also, don't give her per mince, that stuff is crap.

Don't cook any of the meat you give her, dunno if it's been said but it's denatured protein. Also, don't give her per mince, that stuff is crap.

Pet mince and tinned food is roughly 80% water. If you can, give her roo mince.....

Also, it's very nice of you to be willing to fork out the vet bill. Not many people would do that. Get some pics of the little pups up :) I don't know how someone could just dump a pregnant dog, filthy pricks.

Pet mince and tinned food is roughly 80% water. If you can, give her roo mince.....

80% water and the remaining 20% is processed crap that is no good for your animal, lol.

I bought some roo steaks a couple of weeks ago, but it defrosted because the seal on the fridge went dodgy so I didn't get a chance to try it. Gave it to the dogs, they loved it :D What do they steaks taste like?

'Thats the best smell hey!

ill think of you as i am drinking a bottle of rum and cleaning the house!!

You're drinking a bottle of rum at 9 am? Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back