Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
species - antaresia stimsoni
locality - Cooktown
2nd pic
species - antaresia maculosa
locality - 300km down the rd from the stimsoni ;)

Wonglepong locality keelback...

Someone had to say it!

First photo is of an Antaresia maculosa (stimsoni maybe????) from 15km south of Surat, QLD. Second photo is of an Antaresia stimsoni about 30km east of Charleville, QLD.

First pic is a Mac, Second is a Stimmi

Liasis or Antaresia????????????

I say Antaresia, EPA says Liasis (although my argument for Antaresia isn't strong)

First pic is a Mac, Second is a Stimmi

Liasis or Antaresia????????????

I say Antaresia, EPA says Liasis (although my argument for Antaresia isn't strong)

EPA are propably the most taxonimically disadvantaged organisation in the world.

First photo is of an Antaresia maculosa (stimsoni maybe????) from 15km south of Surat, QLD. Second photo is of an Antaresia stimsoni about 30km east of Charleville, QLD.

Maybe its an intergrade, i didnt know macs where found that far out west? I was thinking it just looked like a A.stimsoni, what made you think it was a mac?

Jono, the first is a stimsoni. Look at the side stripe from the head to nearly halfway down the body

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I regret not keying it out but it was 2.00am in the morning and I wanted to sleep. I did cut it open and it had a gut full of rats.

I'm not sure whether it is possible to key them out... there is alot of variance in scale counts ect within different literature... and when your looking at animals within intergrade zones, you could end up going mad trying..

No worries Jason, I've never even looked at a key for Antaresia. Sounds a lot like the keys for differentiating the various Notechis "species"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back