What are we doing wrong???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarita

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Partner and I bought our first python (Olive Python) in February this year from snake ranch. She was feeding regularly before we got her on fuzzy mice. We started her in a glass enclosure 61cm wide x 61cm high x 45cm deep and the temps were ranging from 29-34c in the hot end and 20-24c in the cool(heated with heat mat). We had hiding places and plenty of fake plants for climbing not that she climbs much and also to cover her hidy holes. We tried 20 times to feed her but nothing she just kept climbing over the food not even interested in it and coiling herself aroung our arm and sit. I was in continual contact with snake ranch and after 5 weeks of no feeding we sent her back to see if there was something wrong with her or if it was an environmental issue we had. First day back at snake ranch she ate a unscented fuzzy mouse no dramas at all, which obviously suggested that it was an enviro issue at our end. She stayed there for 5 weeks and in the mean time we were advised to set up a click clack as maybe she felt a little acared of all the space she had, which we did and the temps are still the same as before which we have been told are good.
We have had her back now for a week and a half and tried feeding her three time with nothing once again. What are we doing so wrong. She has her own bedroom which is really quiet so it not like something is scaring her, she is always out of her hidy hole wondering around like she is happy as larry but just is not interested in her food. She is 8month old and around 1m in length and looks healthy, smells everything but once the food comes out no more tongue out. The enclosure is kept clean and we use F10 as the disinfectant for her home.

Does any one have any Ideas as to what else we can do? We have enven tried leaving the food in the enclosure over night just in case we would get lucky, but obviousy we're not :(

have you tried dangaling the food in front of the snake and shaking it around just a suggestion

You are trying to feed her too much, if she refuses let her have at least a week before trying again, you won't be stressing her that way and she will be hungrier next time. And she shouldn't be coiling around your arm while feeding, just slightly open the cage and introduce the mouse, dont open the whole thing up and let her out if she is a fussy feeder.

Try leaving her alone for around 2 -3 weeks only disturb her for a water change once a week, then offer her a feed and see how you go.

Yes we dangle it and giggle it not really fast but just enough to catch her attention. OK so we tried last night so I'll try again next week end. Should I be trying another type of food or stick to the fuzzies as we know she has been successfully feeding on them since she was born?

If I leave her for a couple of weeks with out offering how long is too long with out eating? If it goes for another six weeks will she be ok? Also are my temps etc look good to you guys?

Are you achieving those temps at 5am which is the coldest part of the day. What temp is the snake?

Ive heard of stories where snakes have not eaten for 6 months.

I feed my bredli every fortnight.

also during winter its quite normal for them to refuse a feed..

how are your fuzzies when you feed them to her?

I know that they can go off the food a little during the cloder months but what abluth the hatchlings dont they need to keep up the food? What do you mean how are the fuzzies when we feed them to her? do you mean how are we holding or how do they look????

Call Kane at Snake Ranch on Monday morning - he is an absolute font of knowledge, he will have records of how the snake was feeding before you got it, and he will be more than happy to help out! That's one of the benefits of buying from an established place like SR, you get as much follow-up support as you need!

I reset my dual prob thermometer every night and check every moring and it has never dropped below 19c in the hot end however the cooler end has droped to around 14c however she is rarely at the cool end unless she is having a drink.

Your snake will be fine if you don't feed it for a few weeks, give it some time to settle and i'm sure it will start feeding for you, especially if it has already been feeding.

Kane is who has been helping me out. Non stop he is coming up with great ideas for me like making hidy holes and I have emailed him pic for suggestion and how to present the food to our little one, shes just so bloody stubborn, I get frustrated with her but I know it has to be something on our behalf. Shame they dont just eat like dogs, put the bowl down and they scoff it like they are never getting fed again lol

Kane is who has been helping me out. Non stop he is coming up with great ideas for me like making hidy holes and I have emailed him pic for suggestion and how to present the food to our little one, shes just so bloody stubborn, I get frustrated with her but I know it has to be something on our behalf. Shame they dont just eat like dogs, put the bowl down and they scoff it like they are never getting fed again lol

LOL I've got a Labrador and can relate to that! Although the snakes, and for that matter the humans in our household are all pretty keen on their food too!

I reckon if you've got Kane on the case I wouldn't worry too much. He won't let your new baby starve and I imagine would intervene before it became too serious.

Good luck!

Ive got the exact same trouble with my little blonde from SR.

He's in the exact same setup and temps as the female and she is feeding like a charm but he hasnt taken anything yet. His last feed was the 29th May.

Ive tried frozen thawed making sure its nice and warm - jiggling, fresh killed but nothing yet. He was feeding on mice so ive been offering fuzzy mice, ive even tried pinky rats no luck either.

Next thing im going to try is braining - and leaving it in overnight and see what happens.

Thank you everyone for your help it is greatly appreciated. We'll just have to sit tight and let her do her thing.

I reset my dual prob thermometer every night and check every moring and it has never dropped below 19c in the hot end however the cooler end has droped to around 14c however she is rarely at the cool end unless she is having a drink.

Its definately your temps.You need to get the cool side up to around 25C day and night and normal daytime temps 32/34C hot spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back