What are we doing wrong???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also make sure you air temps are up. A warm surface alone is not enough. A surface can be 34 but if the air is only 15 it will be a contributing factor to not eating.

My bet is you snake is too cold. 19c is too cold for the hot end at night. Forget gradients. Keep the cage at 30c all the time. Either increase the wattage of the heat source or insulate the cage. The fact that the snake stays at the hot end indicates the temps are too low.

Get an infrared thermometer so you can take the temp of the snake not just the temp of the thermometer probe. The snake should be at least 29c.

It is dangerous to feed the animal if it is not warm enough. The food will digest too slowly and rot in the snakes guts Three things to get right before you feed. Teperature,temperature and temperature.

My Olive python didn't eat for about 4-5 weeks after I got her. Don't panic, it will probably start eating in time (mine eats like a pig now and never refuses a feed). Chicken juice worked for me - buy some chook necks and soak the mouse/rat in the juice from the necks. Good luck, keep trying. :)

Yes temps are to low. Also I have a python that will not feed if I touch the food item. I have to get it thawed, warmed up in warm water and take it out of the water with the tongs, pat dry on paper towel and then present it. But it has to be presented in very dimmed light so I can just see what I'm doing and try to not let it know I am there. I think it knows its vunerable while feeding and only feeds when 110% sure.

It is dangerous to feed the animal if it is not warm enough. The food will digest too slowly and rot in the snakes guts Three things to get right before you feed. Teperature,temperature and temperature.

Agreed

whats the temp?

I'd probably go 4 things Warwick, & add temperature to that list.

Well I just got mine feeding - I was about to leave it in overnight but thought id try again with the tongs first.

I got a bit frustrated at him ignoring it completely - so I smacked him a few times with the mouse. Instant strike and coil - and is now happily eating! I wasnt game to try this before incase it put him off the mice even more. Maybe he likes it rough :lol:

Anywho very glad hes eating now

My olives were like that when i first got them. Try a finch , it worked for me. Then scent your next rodent.

i dont know about the smacking approach but ive had trouble feeders befor and found that time is the best method they wont starve and also when training my young i am alone in the room with the snake ive had mates ova and every one wants to see you tell them to stop moving untill your blue in the face but they do and every little movement can distract the little 1 from the task at hand try and stay out of sight be quiet and only move your tongs
a tap on the tail with the mouse has worked for me befor but i try and avoid this and is your mouse completley defrosted?

My olives were like that when i first got them. Try a finch , it worked for me. Then scent your next rodent.

Same thing for our little Olive, won't take rodents, only eats finches.
I dont think he recognises the mouse as food
Try a mouse....nothing....try a finch....gone !!
Hopefully soon once he gets a few more meals down we'll try harder to convert him to rodents but trying to fatten him up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back