What can you NOT feed rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed my rats pig finisher pellets and pony pellets as thier staple.... then also feed them thawed frozen (home brand) peas... and thier fave corn kernels, or peas & carrots. fresh cut up carrots. They also get pasta, rice (when I cook some, I cook extra for rats), bread crusts, fruit like bananas, pears & apples (including seeds), a mix of wild bird seed and forragers feast rat/rabbit/G pig food, those dog bone shaped biscuits (treat & for teeth), whiskettes (treat, by hand.... not a bowl full) When I have bones from T bone, chops or chicken (cooked chicken bones ok for rats, not for cats or dogs)... they get them to chew on..... but I dont go out of my way to feed them meat.... makes thier poop smelly. In hot weather, I give them a treat of frozen blocks of soy milk in a bowl :shock:....they go ballistic :lol: extremey funny to watch them try to pick it up to take and stash :lol: I dont go shopping to buy the rats any fruit... but if things are in the fruit bowl going to go bad soon, the rats get it :lol:

The only definate no-no's I have heard of is RAW potato, RAW greens (cabbage,broccoli,beans) and I have read that MALE rats shouldnt eat (or drink) orange/mandarine.... girls ok, but not for boys for some reason they cant stomach it. They are all lactose intollerant..... same as a cat! But people give cats cows milk to drink, and supposedly rats (and they do) like cheese.... it wont kill them, but prolly upsets thier stomach (like a lactose intollerant person)

You have to remember (or know) rats can not chunder or burp! if it goes down, it has to pass right thru them, they CAN'T chuck anything up. That is how rat poison works.... they eat it, they die.... coz they cant spew it up. For this reason.... no fizzy drinks or "look, my rat likes beer!" the gas cant get out once swallowed! Fizzy drinks can kill them!

I havent heard about peanuts? I know thy like peanut butter?

A good staple diet and a variation of everything else is good.... a balanced diet....... moderation is key

LOL.... Where did you find all these bits of info?? None of that is true! They can eat dairy without issue (like humans SOME rats can be lactose intolerant but not all, males can eat/drink citrus, they can eat raw greens and potato. Mine do all of that! That is also not how rat poison works..... Rats may not be able to burp/vomit but they do pass gas lol.

I feed my rats pig finisher pellets and pony pellets as thier staple.... then also feed them thawed frozen (home brand) peas... and thier fave corn kernels, or peas & carrots. fresh cut up carrots. They also get pasta, rice (when I cook some, I cook extra for rats), bread crusts, fruit like bananas, pears & apples (including seeds), a mix of wild bird seed and forragers feast rat/rabbit/G pig food, those dog bone shaped biscuits (treat & for teeth), whiskettes (treat, by hand.... not a bowl full) When I have bones from T bone, chops or chicken (cooked chicken bones ok for rats, not for cats or dogs)... they get them to chew on..... but I dont go out of my way to feed them meat.... makes thier poop smelly. In hot weather, I give them a treat of frozen blocks of soy milk in a bowl :shock:....they go ballistic :lol: extremey funny to watch them try to pick it up to take and stash :lol: I dont go shopping to buy the rats any fruit... but if things are in the fruit bowl going to go bad soon, the rats get it :lol:

The only definate no-no's I have heard of is RAW potato, RAW greens (cabbage,broccoli,beans) and I have read that MALE rats shouldnt eat (or drink) orange/mandarine.... girls ok, but not for boys for some reason they cant stomach it. They are all lactose intollerant..... same as a cat! But people give cats cows milk to drink, and supposedly rats (and they do) like cheese.... it wont kill them, but prolly upsets thier stomach (like a lactose intollerant person)

You have to remember (or know) rats can not chunder or burp! if it goes down, it has to pass right thru them, they CAN'T chuck anything up. That is how rat poison works.... they eat it, they die.... coz they cant spew it up. For this reason.... no fizzy drinks or "look, my rat likes beer!" the gas cant get out once swallowed! Fizzy drinks can kill them!

I havent heard about peanuts? I know thy like peanut butter?

A good staple diet and a variation of everything else is good.... a balanced diet....... moderation is key

Rats love soft drink, some of them love beer :) It doesn't hurt them at all.

Presumably, someone, at some stage, found out that rats don't burp, and thought "Oh, that means soft drink will kill them!". It was posted online or said at a rat club meeting or something, repeated a few times and became 'fact'. Lots of rat people firmly believe it, but it's so absurd :lol: Lots of rat myths are like that. Fanatics come up with crazy ideas, they get repeated online enough to become believed, and *poof* a new myth is born. Fanatics love to believe anything on the ultra paranoid/conservative side, and that combined with internet experts makes a fertile environment for myth production. Rats naturally get into anything vaguely edible. If there's a pile of fermenting fruit which has gone fizzy and alcoholic they'll be right into it. The world's greatest omnivore didn't evolve to be too fussy about what it ate, or too fragile about something as trivial as carbonation or alcohol.

I used to think snake people were crazy freaks who believe myths. Well, I still do. But the rat world has a lot more myths which are even more crazy.

Rats love soft drink, some of them love beer :) It doesn't hurt them at all.

Presumably, someone, at some stage, found out that rats don't burp, and thought "Oh, that means soft drink will kill them!". It was posted online or said at a rat club meeting or something, repeated a few times and became 'fact'. Lots of rat people firmly believe it, but it's so absurd :lol: Lots of rat myths are like that. Fanatics come up with crazy ideas, they get repeated online enough to become believed, and *poof* a new myth is born. Fanatics love to believe anything on the ultra paranoid/conservative side, and that combined with internet experts makes a fertile environment for myth production. Rats naturally get into anything vaguely edible. If there's a pile of fermenting fruit which has gone fizzy and alcoholic they'll be right into it. The world's greatest omnivore didn't evolve to be too fussy about what it ate, or too fragile about something as trivial as carbonation or alcohol.

I used to think snake people were crazy freaks who believe myths. Well, I still do. But the rat world has a lot more myths which are even more crazy.
the snke's will like it. Its just like a pub
but make sure your snake is 18+ dont want to go to jail

give them coke & menthos then stand back & watch there heads fly off

one of the rat mums escapes to the cats bowl & eats with the two lazy cats then take the biscuits back to her cage

Does anyone offer their rats insects? I'll be offering superworms to mine this week, and perhaps some woodies too! If all goes well they may become a permanent part of their diet. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone offer their rats insects? I'll be offering superworms to mine this week, and perhaps some woodies too! If all goes well they may become a permanent part of their diet. :)

Just once in a while for fun. They love mealworms and woodies and crickets and stuff :) Most of them love mealworms right from the start, but a lot of them take a bit to work out that woodies are food. Once they realise though, it's like giving chocolate to a... um... no, that's a bit to politically incorrect for me to say without getting infracted (does APS still do infractions?), but you get the idea.

Oh yes they LOVE super worms! Mine would go crazy for them and get really grabby. When they ran out they would run around inspecting each other's tails to see if they were worms haha.

LOL.... Where did you find all these bits of info?? None of that is true! They can eat dairy without issue (like humans SOME rats can be lactose intolerant but not all, males can eat/drink citrus, they can eat raw greens and potato. Mine do all of that! That is also not how rat poison works..... Rats may not be able to burp/vomit but they do pass gas lol.

You feed yours what you like? I get alot of my info from vets, books and 'ratfanclub.org' an american site with alot of info on rats. I cant post you a link, so google it ;)

Oh, you probably dont need to, you obviously know it all already :rolleyes:

You need a new vet LOL.

Was it the same one that told you that inbreeding rodents should be avoided at all times and to feed a staple of frozen peas and corn?
Would love to see the reference to the article about male rats not being able to handle mandarin juice haha.

Yeah Pretzels I do know Motty hehe. <3 <3 <3 Do you go on the rat forum or are you mates?

Last edited:
My rats get anything "foodie" the humans in the house don't eat or don't eat fast enough. This includes but is not restricted to avocado ( including skin and seed ), left over BBQ meat ( though they were short last BBQ because a wild blue tongue hung around and was willing to be hand feed, much to the disgust of my wife), over ripe fruits including watermelon and many more.
Rats are neophobic when it comes to food, they will taste new foods and if they are even slightly ill afterwards they will then avoid it if possible. That is why they can be so hard to poison.

You need a new vet LOL.

Yeah Pretzels I do know Motty hehe. <3 <3 <3 Do you go on the rat forum or are you mates?

nah my bestie blaze goes on the rat forum. tom is the love of my life! hahaha. i actually met him thru blaze and were facebook/ txt friends...well not txt anymore since he lost his phone!! goof ball that he is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back