Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my bro is fine with all animals (originally from a small country town so we have a weird fondness for all critters), mum is curious but unsure about them but is happy to listen to me carry on about them for hours, dad thinks they're fine in nature and prefers wild 'pets' across the board so he isn't that bothered either.....most importantly the missus used to totally hate them would retreat in the opposite direction every time pet or wild, she is now fairly comfortable to be around them but still has no intention of holding any (got a pic of her holding a spotted hatchy hehe) she is definitely warming to them but refuses to have anything to do with feeding lol

My father hates them! he literally has a phobia haha, I had my younger brother stay over our house one weekend and he absolutely loves them (he is 11yrs old) and my father rang me at like 2 in the morning telling me he couldnt sleep because he was worried his "golden" son was going to get constricted in his sleep by my yearling albino darwin carpet LMAO!!! And he always over dramatises things.. When he was mowing the lawn one day he ran inside sweating and had goose bumps all over his arms and was like THERE IS A 5 METER LONG SNAKE IN THE TREE!!! me being me i was like SWEET!! ran outside to have a look and it was a tiny little green tree snake no longer than 60cm hahahaha

My family hated them, they have learned to live with them now though. My kids love them! And wifey is slowly but surely growing fond of them. I took my extended family to the recent expos and some have converted! :D

My mother isn't very warming but alot of my other friends and family who were once scared have now held and interacted with my stimson and as he is so much smaller than carpet snakes etc their fear of snakes has lessened - to the ones that are terrified i have a rubber snake at home that i tend to drop on them first so they get the screaming out of the way :) breaks the ice very quickly

My Partner hated them...hates snakes BUT....As time grows she doesn't "mind" them as she says. When i get my stimson's out and hand them too my 22 month old daughter she often runs them over to mummy and says mummy hold, haha so she doesn't have much choice. But in saying that she doesn't like my bredli-His too big (6 1/2 foot) for her and due to his breathing (constantly sounds like a hiss) he scares her a little. But my daughter loves patting him and tells me that his too heavy for her to hold. Clever one indeed :)

my parents think I am a sicko and that I worship satan.

My family are interested as in looking, but then at the same time it actually gets annoying that they are interested haha. To me i don't see my snakes any different to any other pet, so when they always make a fuss about watching them feed or asking questions it feels like to me someone getting excited over wanting to watch a dog eat or ask questions about it lol.

My mum thought I was crazy when I said I wanted one. Her rule was that it wasn't allowed to be big enough to eat the cat, so I chose a Stimmie. She still won't hold him but doesn't care when he is out. Little siblings love him and fight over who gets him first when he is out haha. Dad is indifferent. One of my older sisters and her boyfriend are considering getting one in a few years once they finish studying and travelling etc., they always ask to get him out when they come around. Even my cat doesn't mind him, as long as I still give her my attention haha.

My Daughter and I share all 4 of our snakes, my Dad used to be afraid of snakes now he holds them and keeps an eye on them when I go out of town. Breanna's Dad likes them but not "on" him for very long..... The rest of my rele's think I am bad enough let alone snakes too ROFLMFAO

my sister hates snakes, mum is very wary, dad is curious, my brothers love them and step mum can handle small ones but not big ones. lizards are good all round

mine gave up on me a very long time ago but my 64yr old mum was fascinated and horrified while she helped me treat a couple of injured ones she has only ever held one healthy snake and said thats enough but handled and treated injured ones like babies

Mum is distant and very much afraid of them. Dad wants to kill me and hates any animal, then again he doesn't like people either. The sibs and other relos think I'm nuts. Happy times :p

hahahaha my family all hate my snake except for my sister ( who actually bought him for me) and i havent even brought him home yet!

We all love them my wife (kiwi) myself and my 2 sons are right into our herps but we don't have many
2x black n white coastal carpets
1x jag ( jungle x coastal)
1x QLD black head
1 x hypo Bredl
But my mum won't come out the back anymore and the inlaws well they won't even think about coming into my den ..

Last edited:
my mum think the hatchie we just bought will escape and kill my 4 month old baby no matter how much i tell her its not possible lol
my sister hasnt seen her yet but cant wait to, but says she will only let her go on her hands
my fiance loves her
my son who is almost 3 loves her, but my step kids arent allowed near her or their mum will flip out

my mother thinks im a weirdo, can't comprehend how she gave birth to 'such an odd child' ...
my grandma is fascinated by them, and everyone that comes to our house ends up staying and looking in our room for ages and wants to look/touch all of them.

My mum (84) and dad (87) both were adament they wouldnt even visit me if I got snakes. I got my licence and bought a coastal, then pretended I found it it in my back shed. Naturally, it stayed, is even in the house now. I did the same trick with my 2 spotted pythons (look what I found in the back shed again??! Unbelievable!... hehehehe)
Now mum is happy to touch (but not hold) and calls them her grand-snakes, same as the grand-cat, grand rats.... lol
Dad is a grumpy old codger and thinks the only good snake is a dead one...... so I just dont encourage him to be around them. My only brother couldnt care either way. Most of my friends are snake people.... if not, they arent my friends... lol
Important thing is not to force them onto people. Show them to friends and family who are interested, dont even mention them to friends or relo's who arent ;)

I Love them, Hubby puts up with them, Only 1 of my 4 Boys is interested and has 1 snake of his own (a Jungle).A few of my relo's wont visit because of our reptiles and one of my neighbours wont even come to our front door .The mum in law (lives with us) hates them all bar the Pygmy Beardies cause they aren't slimy lol and have personality.(her words)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back