Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke_84

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has a few suggestions, maybe even some pics on what gecko i should get for my first???
im fairly new to herps and have a juvie jungle and a pair of pygmy beardies, but i really want to get some nice looking geckos, im in sydeny with class 1 license, any help and pics would be great...
cheers luke

like all reptiles search into them. find one u like. the easyest gecko is milli millie or the bearking gecko

i only keep oedura castelnaui, so i can only comment on them!
there great geckos, hardy, easy to look after and show great patterns/colouration.

i can also suggest two websites which really helped me in the search for my first geckos.

theres great articles and pictures on www.aussiegeckos.com which is owned by Troy Webb (ari)

also cant go past geckodans site www.geckodan.com both of them are really well set out provide great info and pictures.

For an easy to care for and doesnt require heating etc go for a Thick tail gecko, otherwise if heating is not a problem then go for anything depending on your budget. If you want something you can see throughout the day go for a Strophurus as they require lighting and will bask on a branch. The Oedura are great and active of a night. I have thick tails, a couple of types of Oedura and golden tails and they are all great.

I dont find U. millii all that interesting so i'd go with something like N. levis, H. binoei or and of the Diplodactylus species

If you ask me you can't go past levis for a beginner gecko, they are cute, active and hardy.

any oedura genus or gehyra are good as i have kept them, have kept P. platurus also are easy, but mine died after been fed an insect, because dad was spraying poisen and i didnt know and we fed him some crickets and stuff and it died. geckos are my favourite species to keep even tho im relatively new to keeping geckos

I went for Lesueurs as my first (and only, to date) geckos and haven't looked back. I have a well landscaped enclosure and being climbers, they make full use of the 3D environment rather than just the floor. If you do go for climbers make sure you have an escape-proof enclosure.

I wouldn't get a U. milli - yes there easy to keep but you virtually never see them!

I wouldn't get a U. milli - yes there easy to keep but you virtually never see them!

I guess it just depends on the individuals, mine are out all the time! I walk into my room during the middle of the day and my male is at the front of his enclosure barking and hissing at me. Mine have a lot of character. Can't recommend milii enough. Either U. milii or N. levis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back