What is my beardie doing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond_python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My male beardie has been trying to do the wild thing with my female for some months now. I have never seen him successful at it though. Now, my female beardie has a large stomach, seems to do pushups everytime my male gets frisky and now she is even getting a black beard. Usually only he gets the black beard. What is her behaviour indicating? Cheers :)

Could it just be dominant behaviour? my larger male jumps all over my other two headbobbing only a nube to lizards myself so hazarding a guess.

Yeah he is a dominant one but now she is doing "push ups" and her beard is going black as well.

Hey DP
I have a female who does that to one of my males. I think that it is her way of saying "f off!!" lol
The slow pushups are a way of showing that she is not disputing that he is the dominant male, but the puffed up beard etc is their way of sticking up for herself so that he knows that she's not interested. If you start getting the slow head bobbing AND arm waving - then she's interested from my experience.
Good luck ;)

do beardies mate repeatedly with he same female in the season? Is he just making sure so to speak.

The slow bobbing like push ups is a submissive behaivor that females and other males will use to the dominant male.
The black beard is a sign he's in full mating mode. If she's getting fat then shes probably gravid. Even if you haven't seen them mate thet would have, they are not like snakes matings are normally less than a minute.
All sounds like pretty typical breeding behaivor from both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back