Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it was showering on and off on friday and sat but on sunday it all cleard up and it got quite hot

yes i totaly agree,colour can vary so much in individual species
but copperhead is most likely candidate in the mountains and of that appearance

by the way there a lovely snake:D

...Yeah, I think it is a Copperhead - taking into account location, and broadness of the head and body I would say it is almost certainly a Copperhead...

...sounds like a good trip with a few nice Herps - any other photos?

we need more threads on copperheads
there an awsome snake and most of the ones ive met have a good nature

Yep I agree with pimp and aslan, and if it was cool then it definately was a copperhead.

I have found them a very docile and nice looking snake but do not recommend catching them.

Cheers

Steve

def a copperhead, they have a slang name "yellow bellied black snakes" which is what they are often called in country areas from people who don't know what they are talking about. They can grow quite large, this one is from the Snowy's, and is around 5 feet.

Attachments

• copperhead.jpg
    copperhead.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 80
I'll agree with some of the previous posters, it's a Copperhead Austrelaps ramsayi. It's a female, and certainly looks gravid.

Nice pic JasonL, is that a wild snake, or one of yours?

Wild, found about 10 of them that day, around a pond the size of a football field. In an area I've photographed frogs at about 20 times and never seen any, just shows when the time is right they literally appear out of the woodwork to feast and reproduce.

Nice pic mate, 10 in a day! Crikey happy days!

and 3/4's of them were monsters!, it had rained alot and the grass was 2 foot high, snakes were coiled everywhere, had to look very carefully with each step. My son was sooooo close to treading on the one in the grass that looks a bit tigerish (though it's a def copperhead).

Attachments

• coppergrass.jpg
    coppergrass.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 62
  • copperhead2.jpg
    copperhead2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 58
  • littlecopper.jpg
    littlecopper.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.