Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice looking snakes. When I first read this thread I was thinking "yellow belly black snake", started looking around and couldn't find anything about such a snake. I started thinking I must be crazy, I knew I must have heard it somewhere before, even if it is a misnomer.

There are no snakes with the accepted common name of "Yellow Bellied Black Snake". However some people have called different species by that name, including Green Tree Snakes, Butlers Snakes, Highlands and Lowlands Copperheads, Tiger Snakes, Water Pythons and Inland Taipans.

after all these posts i have suddenly got a strong liking for copperheads lol

Hi all,

Highland Copperhead Austrelaps ramsayi

The first one is a male......tail is way to thick to be a female......at this time of year it would be highly unusual for a viviparous species to be showing signs of being gravid, as the mating in autumn should have dropped by now and this springs mating would not yet be apparent. Usually in about a month females start to show signs in the larger elapids.

Your lizard is a gravid Jacky Dragon Amphibolurus muricatus. As these are oviparous they are often seen gravid at this time of year

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Last edited:
LOL lowlands are nice

hey snakeholic,while where on the on the topic theres three subspecies of copperhead

highlands copperhead Austrelaps ramsayi

Lowlands copperhead Austrelaps superbus

Pygmy copperhead Austrelaps labialis

in the great dividng range we get the highlands form
while down south in lower victoria and across to just across the border into SA
and in tasmania you get the lowlands,which grow bigger and differ slightly in appearance
(copperheads vary alot in colour)
and in isolated patches in SA you get the little pygmy copperhead
which as the name suggests is a smaller version of the copperhead

Snake pimp

They are not subspecies they are full species

Cheers,
Scott

LOL thanks you know what i mean:D

so for example Dugite

genus : Pseudonaja

species: affinis

sub species : tanneri
:D

but isnt a mulga like creamed freckles over it
hey dont tigers have yellow bellys\

Ryan,

Mulga's come in a wide range of colours, with many different patterns. One of the more commonly seen forms is cream, with black edging on each scale. They originate from southern NT, down through SA to the Eyre Peninsula.

The ventral colouration of Tiger Snakes is also variable. Some have yellow bellies, others don't.

Cheers

yeh i knew dat but you also just taught me stuff i didnt know im only 14 but still learnin

LOL im 33 and still learning,every herp person out there is still learning and always will be
thats the beauty,it never gets boring to learn about these amazing creatures
at 14 you are at an exellent age to absorb knowledge learn everything you can
youl neverregret it :D

cheers for the info pimp, i had never heard of a pygmy copperhead.

[SIZE=+1]oh well heres some more info
about the little pygmy and a pic!

Pygmy Copperhead Austrelaps labialis[/SIZE]

The pygmy copperhead occurs in the Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island.
It is now rare in the Adelaide Hills and Fleureiu Peninsula and is listed as threatened in those areas.
It feeds on small skinks. Its venom is assumed to be similar to that of the lowland copperhead, Austrelaps labialis however venom yields are much lower.

alabialis.jpg

so i was wondering why "yellow belly black snake" being used for a highland "copper head" is laughed at.... they are both common names, and neither is particularly accurate...

so i was wondering why "yellow belly black snake" being used for a highland "copper head" is laughed at.... they are both common names, and neither is particularly accurate...

Ha, yeah your right, but I guess I prefer the use of only one dicky name per snake. In relation to the term "Yellow Bellied Black", this name ties it in with the Pseudechis genus, and they have already lost P. australis to Pseudonaja but I guess that will even them up ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back