WHat snake is it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garyjoh

Reaction score
somewhere near Wingham Mid North Coast of NSW
G'day
We had a small snake around the house today, it bolted before we could snap a pic of it though.
It was about 1 1/2 feet long no more the 1inch thick , grey body with black rings all along the body, had a blackish head and around it's neck it had a redish tinge.
Bummer I didn't get a picture but it took off after the dog noticed it.
Cheers
Gary

could it have looked like this?
DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

Here is a young brown, they come with black rings on the body as well

DSCF3201.JPG

Did it look like that?

What snake is that RBB? Tree snake? Or young brown? Don't really look like a brown but I really have no idea. Might look him up see if I can pick him before you reply :D

It's just so obvious..if you can't work it out from all those clues I'm not going to tell you.

well YES the eastern brown juvies are often little agro buggers ...and Kath it is a keelback ,the loreal scale which you can see in the head shot is the scale in the middle between the eye and the nasal,elapids do not have such a scale ...Kath get to know your loreal scale as this may help you on a callout :) ...keelbacks and rough scale do quiet often get mistaken and sadly harmless keelbacks are killed ,and dangerous rough scales are handled thinking they are harmless ...better not touch any snakes unless you have a fair idea what your handling ...:)..Kathy I always carry a magnifying glass in my snake bag ,cause on a tiny keelback its hard to see the loreal and dont wanna make that mistake of being wrong ...baby venomous snakes especially the "dangerously venomous "snakes can give you the same punch as the adult ,just because it is small and you think it has a tiny mouth ,and cant get it open enough to bite you ,WRONG, it only has to scratch you with 1 fang ,tiny little scratch and you could end up in hospital on life support..that baby keelback I rescued,the guy Igot it off, didnt know wether it was dangerous or not ,he had been handling it and his justification was "its to small to bite me "..lucky it turned out to be just a keelback now :)

Sweet, I have been picking up heaps of these guys lately.

Here is the banded type

DSCF3317.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back