What sort of gecko is this ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzajay77

Reaction score
Hi found this gecko inside my house tonight. I'm in Port Macquarie. Took a few pics before letting it go...

Be nice to know what sort it is... heard it 'talking' the other night wondered what the hell it was.:shock:

Attachments

• IMGP2454.jpg
    IMGP2454.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 224
  • IMGP2451.jpg
    IMGP2451.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 158
yes A.H.G.
they are every were. millions of the ferral things

Thanks muchly. Never seen one before down here. Noisy buggers.

Asian House Gecko, you can tell by the spikes on the tail (if it were a native Dtella, it wouldn't have those). Also, it should have a claw on the inside toe of each of their front feet- this also indicates an asian house gecko.

Very cute. When I went up to Port Douglas they were absolutely everywhere! And yes I was the weirdo prowling the holiday inn at night looking for geckos...

Lol @ prowling the place looking for geckos. My step daughter has named it already and has said she wants to keep it ...

she's in bed now and doesn't know i've released it yet. will break the news in the morning.:D

Bearded_Lady said:
And yes I was the weirdo prowling the holiday inn at night looking for geckos...

Yes, that was me too.

Australis, in some of the Dtella I've caught, they've also had spikes, but never as large or numerous as the Asian House Gecko. Is that what you were referring to?

No not what i meant, i cant say ive seen any significant tubicles on the tails of Gehyra?
My comment was referring to AHG with re-gen tails, being a problem if your looking for
tubicles on tails to ID them.

I am not in the range of northern Gehyra species or the House Gecko but little things I have noticed about the two that make identifying easier is head shape (House Gecko, more of a narrow snout, whereas Dtellas have a more rounded snout) aswell as digit design and claw and lamellae structure is different etc. Nor should I forget the obvious rough textured tails, what I also notice is that Dtella tails seem to be able to store small amounts of condition where as the house gecko's tail seems to be thin and tapers.

Remember, I am making these judgements based on lots photographs and opinions of other people.

Ah, I get you now. I wondder what those geckoes were then. They had small, infrequent spikes on the tails and no claws on the inside toes.

Gehyra dubia for comparison.
100_0841hgjhdg.jpg

Hi found this gecko inside my house tonight. I'm in Port Macquarie. Took a few pics before letting it go...

Be nice to know what sort it is... heard it 'talking' the other night wondered what the hell it was.:shock:

Yep Azz,its an Asian house gecko,loads of them troughout the phillippines when i was there,they call them Toc Tocs because of the vocalisations,gather that young childrens pythons and carpets would make use of them as food around dwellings.

I can't really remember the small details about it. I just remember that it was that pinkish colouration that they get a night time, it had small, infrequent spikes on the tail and no claw on the inside toe. I assumed it was a Dtella.

Is it possible that they're interbreeding?

Australis: Quite a nice looking female G.dubia. Do most of them look like that around your area or are the others more mottled or reticulated?

Australis: Quite a nice looking female G.dubia. Do most of them look like that around your area or are the others more mottled or reticulated?

Yeah mate most of them look basically the same in that area from memory.

Heres two other Gehyra, all three are around 3 hrs drive from each other.

Scnp08CQ101.jpg

DSRCRDCQ08089.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back