What sort of python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes was caught near Campbelltown in Sydney.

i think its a albino motley corn, im pretty sure so
I had a motley cornsnake overseas and its pattern didn't look anything like this, I agree that is amelanistic though......Its pattern looks normal to me.

-Will

thats a bugger

beautiful little fella
I wont stick him in the freezer, I'll take it to the vet have it euthanased

Rob,

It is best not to take it to the vet to be euthanised. I would call the DPI tomorrow and inform them. They will collect it and take care of it (they will most probably euthanise it themselves).

For everyones information, the EPA/DEC/NPWS won't and can't do anything about keeping exotics. Their jurisdiction covers native wildlife - they have nothing to do with exotic wildlife. The only thing they will do is contact DPI.

re What

Looks like it will be a dead cornsnake soon :lol:

Yes was caught near Campbelltown in Sydney.

Just to confirm what JasonL said: Give EPA/DECC a call and they'll prove rather interested. Don't take it to a vet, as DECC need to know about this. Until then please keep it very secure, preferably bagged in two tied pillow cases in a closed room. What you've found is somebodies escaped, probably illegal corn snake, native to North America and commonly housed in overseas collections, and Australian zoos and the like.

If the snake is legal and has escaped from someones collection it might just find its rightful owner. Unlikely though.

One thing's for sure- someone's looking for this snake :)

Rob,

It is best not to take it to the vet to be euthanised. I would call the DPI tomorrow and inform them. They will collect it and take care of it (they will most probably euthanise it themselves).

For everyones information, the EPA/DEC/NPWS won't and can't do anything about keeping exotics. Their jurisdiction covers native wildlife - they have nothing to do with exotic wildlife. The only thing they will do is contact DPI.

exactly what Johno said

and yep corn snake

and I only like them when there over seas and not in australia because there illegal and they damage our native species and compete with them for food and could breed with them.

Its an Amelanistic corn and a beautiful one at that, but pretty much yes call the DECC and tell them about your find, keep it secure so it cant escape and dont try to sell it on petlink ;)

(Could this be a wind up?)

Just to confirm what JasonL said:
Very sorry, too many beers, I meant Jonno from ERD. I shouldn't reply to too many posts too quickly :oops:

Although DPI and AQIS are primarily interested in such records, DECC will have permit records they may check through.

it's safe an secure in a click clack
I'll give them a call tomorrow, bloody shame people bring them out here.
Such a beautiful little animal and now sentenced to death because of peoples stupidity.

I can see why the pet traders target them though beautiful to look at and such a placid nature they would make a perfect pet. such a pity

kiLL it bru!!! its no good!! snake version of a cain toad!!!

Another thing guys...it's important to not take the DPI's propaganda surrounding exotics too seriously. Of course they are illegal, hence my earlier advice, but the chances of them damaging local reptile populations, competing for food sources or inbreeding would be minimal.

The risk is very small but still there. The North Island of NZ and also Hawaii are overrun by Australian skinks, these established from one single introduction of a gravid female. Presently there are around 200 species of invasive reptile globally, many of which cause significant ecological and economic impacts. So biosecurity and reptiles should be taken seriously. Snakes, however, do only constitute a small but still significant proportion of these invasive species, think Guam as an extreme example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back