What sort of python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its deffo an amelanistic Corn, used to have them in the UK.

but more concerning is you caught it thinking its a python ???? you are VERY lucky it wasnt anything venomous, you could have been in real trouble.

It's such a good looking snake! Poor thing :(

Yeah point taken, but how many long slender venomous bright orange patterned snakes do we have?

I'm no expert granted but I would not have attempted to pick it up if it were a brown or black.

Never know mate, next time you might find a stray eyelash viper or something ;)

whats life without a little danger:D

viper has a pretty distinctive shape, think I'll be ok if I come across one;)

I do understand the legalities,however its a real shame as its a stunning little snake.

snakemadness, people hate them in Australia because they damage our ecology (competition for other snakes, etc.).
hi could someone explain how corns damage our ecology .not defending them just don't understand how .thanks

no problem, u coming to pick him up;)

mate what woud one little cornsnake do to make a difference in damaging the ecology?
i say just keep it if you want...

Another thing guys...it's important to not take the DPI's propaganda surrounding exotics too seriously. Of course they are illegal, hence my earlier advice, but the chances of them damaging local reptile populations, competing for food sources or inbreeding would be minimal.

Well said Jonno. The issue is far more complex. There are many factors which influence an organism's ability to not only survive, but thrive in an alien environment.

QUOTE"Cane toads seem to be doing a pretty good job."QUOTE

Thats true, but Cane Toads were a government sanctioned release not a few escapees from Hobbyists.

Its a wonder it has survived,considering the colours of these i gather they would be easy pickings for birds etc..Their breed in the thousands and have been for years...

It isn't uncommon to find Corn Snakes anymore, I have found them and plenty of people I know have found them. The only uncommon thing to find is a naturally coloured one, they all tend to be various forms of albino. There are literally tens of thousands of them being owned, I doubt many are being bought into the country anymore as there are thousands being bred in Australia each year. They are cheap to buy, very hardy and placid snakes, ie ideal to keep. The vast majority of people who keep them arn't on the native animal licence sysytem and don't care about it, they know there is only a slim chance of getting a slap on the wrist for having them and most of these people have done worse anyway, thus don't really care if it gets confiscated, easy enough to buy some more.
As for the moral dilemma of euthing it??? well... it's a bit like going up to Qld and killing 1 toad... thats how it stands atm anyway, I hope the authorities take a harder stance on this trade but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Jonno, please stop bringing common sense and logic into these discussions :)

Another thing guys...it's important to not take the DPI's propaganda surrounding exotics too seriously. Of course they are illegal, hence my earlier advice, but the chances of them damaging local reptile populations, competing for food sources or inbreeding would be minimal.

Well said Jonno. The issue is far more complex. There are many factors which influence an organism's ability to not only survive, but thrive in an alien environment.

QUOTE"Cane toads seem to be doing a pretty good job."QUOTE

Thats true, but Cane Toads were a government sanctioned release not a few escapees from Hobbyists.

What do you have to say about the colonisation of two large island systems by a single introduction of Lampropholis delicata? Hemidactylus displacing native lizards in Australia and Mauritius? Or the invasion of Guam by perhaps a single introduction of Boiga? How about P. molurus in Florida? There is ample evidence to show that some reptile species may become invasive without intentional release events from captive or otherwise introduced individuals. I could go on to provide quite a detailed list of successful reptile invasions that have occurred from limited propagule pressure. The most important single factor for reptile invasion success is climatic compatibility, and corn snakes have a bioclimatic match over a large part of eastern Australia.

Yes, the factors influencing invasive success are complex, all the more reason why we should not ignorantly dismiss the potential for species to establish either naturalised or invasive populations in Australia.

Have a read of Mary Bomfords risk assessment criteria published by the Bureau of Rural Sciences and Lever's book, amongst other references, if you want to begin educating yourselves a bit better concerning invasive reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back