What th....? This is disturbing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earthmother

Reaction score
Muddads mate found a disturbing little knickknack that I am sure has slipped into the country unnoticed. It is a small preserved turtle, in a novelty paper weight. Muddads mate first thought it was a perfect replica, then on closer inspection he realized it was real. he brought it home and broke open the container and saw then that it had one eye open and its mouth was agape. Dead as a doornail.

I do not know anything about turtles except our natives. And I am positive this is not one of ours. There is no sign of where it was made. Is this a violation, other than the obvious inhumanity? Could you please assist me? Who should I contact ? And will it do any good?

I have recently seen that we have Red Eared Sliders invading - up north; they showed adults on the News, but I think if we added colour to this it might be one of those. Even if this 'toy' was put together here it would still be wrong wouldn't it?
The expression on its face is terrible.
MM

I'd appreciate some advice on what to do with it.

looks like a yellow slider, its illegal to own even dead, id burn it.

earthmother said:
I'd appreciate some advice on what to do with it.

This is a no brainer.

If you want to keep it, keep it.
If you don't want to keep it, chuck the bloody thing away.

It looks like it's maybe a Painted Turtle.

I've got a stuffed Cobra I bought at Grace Bros. Roselands in 1978. My brother has Lion skins, Zebra Skins and all sorts of Ivory and other Elephant hide products. All absolutely legal. What makes you think this turtle couldn't have been brought here legally?

sorry i thought it was illegal. oops. its horrible anyway. :(

:x I can only imagine how it got here. But however it came to be here is just wrong. We cannot Import reptiles. Who is to say they didn't ship some in live? In disguise 8)

It was in a toy typical of the Asian Market. I can only imagine that there were many shipped here as novelty items. Or even as a one off, How did the customs not see it was real?

I won't get rid of it until I hear what I should do with it. It maybe of use to someone. Otherwise I'll check to see the options.
It was found at the local tip. And when the little telephone pen holder was shaken it floated around. That's sick.

MM

It might just be me but i can't see how anyone can get pleasure out of owning dead animals, i'm not a veggie either.

Does your brother know the trade he is supporting just by owning skins and ivory? Not having a go, just seems pointless killing endangered animals.

most of the ppl i know wiht the stuff has had it for before any of the animal protection stuff happened and they were just like any other tourist buying things

its is a shame that it took them so long to get the protection happening
i wasnt downing you i just wish innocent animals did not have to suffer for a tourists pleasure !
I wonder what would happen now if you tried to board a plane with a a elephants tusk or a zebra skin mat ?

ring customs they will tell you what you should do but make sure you get rid of anything you might get busted for

I doubt you would be busted by customs.
I know guys that have stuffed cobras and mongooses in their office in full view of the public.
My Grandma has an ornament made from ivory. It is a ball on a pedastal.The ball has intricate designs engraved on it. Inside that ball is another ball with the same design and inside that one another and so on.The workmanship is amazing, obviously it is an antique though.

still if you want an answer :roll:
dont post her get on the phone to customs they will tell you straight up if its legal or not and i think thats who i would be listening to ?!

Customs has been contacted. They said theyd follow it up. I dont know what that means - - we will hear from them at some point and Because they've been contacted I feel covered. Have we decided what it is?

I think its a baby Red Eared Slider.
MM

yer i would say its turtle as well and its definitely dead
maybe a (deadglasious containious) turtle :wink:

my mate brought me back a framed thingy with some dead insects spiders and scorpions in it from Indonesia recently and had no troubles with customs. however, im not sure if they checked his bag or not. makes you think how easy it must be to import exotics.

if there sealed in frigin solid melted glass i dont think they care too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back