What to feed while napping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What sort of food while there napping??*So I’m curious to know who feeds what and how often to their shinglebacks and bluies while there in burmation?My kids are outside so were getting some nice sunny days and some horrible ones ( snowed yesterday!) and I’m not sure how often and what to give them.I have been doing a “scatter mix” every few days of corn, fruits and some tinned cat food… have been scattering it around and then placing some in little hidey holes.The problem is I don’t know if they are eating it or other critters in the cage are … I don’t want to give them to much in case it rots but want to make sure they have access to food if they want it!Interested to know your thoughts

yikes,snow!! must be freezing where you are!

i offer a small pile daily,...mine are indoors and 2 mostly stay up the cold end, i havent seen 1 of then eat for weeks, the other one had a nibble the other day and went back to teh cool end. the other 2 are still going strong, for them its like winter hasnt even started. (same enclosure, so same conditions)

im mostly offering greens (finely chopped bokchoy/pakchoy and gai lan), a handful of frozen thawed peas or steamed cauliflower here or there, and some very diluted juice every 3 days, not offering meat atm since they cant be trusted to bask afterwards, (and i read in a shingleback manual that their natural diet is 93% veg anyway, so im not worried about the lack of meat)

i discovered they love mandarins yesterday, mums tree is going nuts so she keeps dropping bags of them on my doorstep! :)

what about planting some food in their enclosure for them, when mine are exploring the yard tehy go nuts for the pink flowers on the grevillia ground covers,..im sure theres plenty of other plants/flowers tehy like! :p

and plant a blueberry bush for them, they will LOVE you!! :p

Dont give them anything at all, as you are aware it will rot inside them at this time of year, They wont usually take feed untill the spring seasonal change.

They do come up on the good days to rewarm their bodys as this is all part of the brumation process.

listen to Beeman, like i said, mine are indoors,...!! :p

Yeah, agreed, they dont need to eat at this time of year. Also, they would probably refuse food anyway, mine do.

Miss 2, I also have a colony of blueis and Shingles outside in this Canberra winter and havent offered them a feed since may.
You do occasionaly see them pop out if the sun is shining, but they will be fine.

Just make sure you have loads and loads of substrate/mulch for them to bury themselves in and not to be exposed to the elements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back