what wattage heat mat should i use under a click-clack?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
what wattage heat mat should i use under a click-clack? I don't know if im even using the right word when I say wattage. if im not using the correct word can you tell me what the correct word is thanks.
and will the plastic melt if the heat mat is placed directly under it? should I have something in between the click clack and heat mat?

The wattage of the heat mat required will depend upon the ambient temperature where it operates. I always encourage newbies to get at least a 13 watt mat so they can use it later in the "adult cage". Remember, plastic is a poor insulator so any heat will dissipate from the click clack, particularly with ventilation holes. It is a good idea to put a ceramic tile between the heatmat and the clickclack which will act as a heat bank to store and spread the heat. If you ever get an electrical short the ceramic tile will not conduct electricity and is non combustible.

Just a tip, when I got my heat mat it said on the box to place the mat on top of a 1cm thick piece of styrofoam. If the one you get says to do that then ignore it and place it on a tile instead. The foam makes it impossible to keep a steady temp and it took me a little while to figure that out lol.

Also I agree with wokka when he says get a 13 or 14 watt matt as it will come in handy and it doesn't matter if its too big for your click clack because you only place one third of it over the mat.

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

will a 13-14 wattage mat melt plastic?

No mate they just get warm to the touch, make sure you use it with a thermostat and remember it will only be around 30-35°C (depending on what species you plan to keep) when the thermostat turns it off.

sorry 1 more thing
I was just reading online and people were saying you need a uv bulb for a spotted python is this true.

No worries mate ask as many questions as you need to so you get things right the first time.

You don't need a uv light for a spotted python.

Not really as far as I'm aware Diamonds have to have a uv bulb, but most other Australian python don't require uv lighting..I do supply uv in my biggest enclosure only because of where it is situated in the house, it doesn't get much light..I do take my pythons out into the sun a couple of times a week, just for a slither on the grass and a 15 min sunbake :)

No worries, there is a lot of confusing info on the net and lots of people do things differently so you will find lots of different answers to the same question.

If you're ever unsure on something you read on the net just ask the people on here for some advice or help.

Just remember that there are lots of right ways to keep snakes but it is the wrong ways you need to worry about. Find what way works for you and your snake and stick to that.

Just something I found is that make sure you get a click clack with a nice flat bottom with out feet molded on. Makes distribution of heat really hard. Nice flat one on a tile gives nice stable temps.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

Anyone can post on the net and likewise on aps, so dont believe everything you read as gospel. Pythons including Diamonds dont need UV, however the purchase of an artificial UV source may benefit the seller of the UV source, and so they perpetuate this myth. You need to consider the writers experience when taking advice, which is often hard when posters are anonymous, as well as any other agenda the writer may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back