Whats a good first gecko?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkie375

Reaction score
I have this enclosure hanging about and want to put something in it! The cat wasnt happy when I put him in it so thats out of the question!;)
I already have a Bluetongue and Spotted python and am now leaning towards a gecko or two. It measures L600mm W300mm & H600mm, so not a huge amout of floor space so I'm thinking climbers would be the go.
Can anyone suggest which gecko would suit and where I could get some in SE QLD?

P.S Also some info in care would be appreciated, have found a fair bit on many threads so have gathered a bit, my main concern is heating/lighting the usual really! I know they like to dig and need hiding places, anything else I should know would be great:p

Attachments

• DSC01547.JPG
    DSC01547.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 90
Do you know how many threads there are on this site asking this exact question? Just use the search function.

N.levis, U.milii or H.binoei are good beginner geckos.

a Diplodactylus vittatus (stone gecko)?
they only grow about 6-8 cm in total length but are pretty cute
and if you got a couple or more that would be pretty cool

Thanks for that Rocket, as mentioned I have got a bit of info from many threads but not all are consistent and was hoping to get more direct answers to MY questions.

bump, i have almost that exact enclosure, and was thinking levi occidentalis for it

Knob tails are great but that enclosure looks quite high. A leaf tail will be great.

Simone.

Thanks for the replies guys! Geckos seem to be popular little creatures. I've got a couple of options at the moment but still researching a bit more. Want to get the enclosure all set up before hand too.

Thanks again!!!:D

Either Southern Velvet or Bynoes, just reading up on them now. Geckodan may have some.

In my opinion, go the Southern Spotted Velvets (Oedura tryoni).

They're more colourful, larger and probably (I dont keep the species) alot more active. From all the Bynoe's I have owned they were very secretive and the height in that cage will go to waste if you get Bynoe's, but hey, its your choice!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback Rocket.
I must admit I have been doing some research and I am leaning towards the Southern Velvet. They are much nicer looking and more what I'm after. I love just sitting and watching my animals and what they get up to, fasinating! So shy and "snobby" animals wouldnt suit! Plus I agree the hight space would go to waste with Bynoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back