Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
i know we have talked about it before but lets talk more, what are you thought's and you top 10

reptile gardens say's
1) Fierce Snake or Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus ), Australia. The most toxic venom of any snake. Maximum yield recorded (for one bite) is 110mg. That would probably be enough to kill over 100 people or 250,000 mice. These rare snakes are virtually unknown in collections outside of Australia.

2) Australian Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis ), Australia. One 1/14,000 of an ounce of this venom is enough to kill a person. *On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

3) Malayan Krait (Bungarus candidus ), Southeast Asia and Indonesia. 50% of the bites from this snake are fatal even with the use of antivenin treatment. *On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

4) Taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus ), Australia. The venom delivered in a single Taipan bite is enough to kill up to 12,000 guinea pigs. *On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

5) Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus ), Australia. The Tiger snake is a very aggressive snake that kills more people in Australia that any other snake on that continent. *On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

6) Beaked Sea Snake (Enhydrina schistosa ), South Asian waters Arabian Sea to Coral Sea..

7) Saw Scaled Viper (Echis carinatus ), Middle East Asia. Saw Scaled Vipers kill more people in Africa that all the other venomous African snakes combined. Its venom is 5 times more toxic than that of the cobra and 16 more toxic than the Russell's Viper. *On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

8) Coral Snake (Micrurus fulvius ), North America. Coral Snakes have a very potent venom but many are too small to deliver enough venom to kill a human. This is the only elapid (relative of the cobras and mambas) in the US.*On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

9) Boomslang (Dispholidus typus ), Africa. The Boomslang is the most seriously venomous rear-fanged snake in the world. They have very long fangs and can open their mouths a full 180 degrees to bite. Famous herpetologist Karl P. Schmidt died 28 hours after a Boomslang bite. The day after the bite, he called in to say he felt well and would be in to work...2 hours before he literally dropped dead from the bite. *On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

10) Death Adder (Acanthophis antarcticus ), Australia and New Guinea. The Death Adder looks like a viper but is more closely related to the cobras. A dosage of 10mg of Death Adder venom is enough to kill a human. A good sized Death Adder can deliver up to 180mg in a single bite. *On exhibit at Reptile Gardens

dicov. can. says

10. Jararacussu (Bothrops jarararcussu) This snake can grow up to 3m in length, and may inject a whopping 800 mg of venon per bite. 1 bite has the potential to kill 32 people! Distribution: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil and Paraguay

9. Tiger snake (Notechis scutatus) Distributed along the populous southeastern coast of Australia, the tiger snake is one of the most common biting snakes in Australia. Average length is approximately 1m with fangs around 3.5-5mm in length. Venom is produced in large quantities, with an average yield 35mg, and a record of 180mg.

8. Multibanded krait (Bungarus multicinctus) This snake is black or bluish-black in colour with narrow white bands and grows up to 1.8m in length Range: South-east Asia and South China. Often found in aquatic areas hunting fish, frogs, or other snakes. Now rare in the wild, it is one of the famous edible snakes in China.

7. Yellow-jawed tommygoff(Bothrops asper) Locally referred to as Fer-de-lance, this snakes has an irritable disposition and may strike with little provocation. Heat-seeking fangs help it strike accurately even in the dark! Maximum length: 2.4 meters. Distribution: Southern Mexico, throughout Central and South America.

6. Black mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis) The black mamba's nickname is the "bottom up snake"; the victim supposedly has time for one quick drink before expiring! Its bite is 100% fatal if antivenin is not administered quickly. Despite the name this snake is actually brownish-gray. But when threatened, it opens its mouth wide and gives the victims a good view of the lining of its mouth - black, of course. This is the fastest land snake in the world, reaching top speeds of 16-19 km/hr in short bursts. It can grow up to 4.3 meters long, and isfound in African savannahs and open woodlands.

5.Russell's viper (Daboia russelli) This is the leading killer of humans at over 6000 deaths each year. It has the most toxic venom of the terrestrial snakes -- bites can cause death within 15 min. This snake is abundant over its entire range: South China, India, SE Asia - and it likes to live near humans.

4. King cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) This is the world's largest venomous snake, with a record length of 5.58m. They are most aggressive during mating and nesting season, when both male and female diligently guard their nest and will attack any thing that comes near. Although it is the largest venomous snake in the world, it causes relatively few bites on humans. The King Cobra is found in Thailand, southern China, Malaysia Peninsula, and the Philippines.

3. Philippine cobra (Naja naja philippinensis) This is a relatively small stocky brown snake, usually up to 100 cm in length. Cobras are recognized by the hoods that they flare when angry or disturbed; the hoods are created by the extension of the ribs behind the cobras' heads. They are famous for their use by Oriental snake charmers because they respond well to visual cues. Distribution: Philippine Islands.

2. Common krait (Bungarus caeruleus) The common krait has the highest fatality rate of any snake on record. In one study of 32 victims admitted to hospital only two survived! Its venom is a powerful neurotoxin that causes respiratory failure. Unfortunately, the krait has a tendency to seek shelter in sleeping bags, boots, and tents. Distribution: India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan.

1. Coastal taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus) One bite from this snake delivers enough venom to kill around 120 people! It can reach a length of over 3.7 metres, and is very aggressive. It strikes without warning, not once, but several times. Its bite is extraordinarily fast and accurate, injecting venom that clots blood and can kill in minutes. Distribution: Northern Australia and southern New Guinea

exn says
1- Inland taipan, or fierce snake

2 - Eastern common brown snake

3 - Taipan

4 - Eastern tigersnake

5 - Revesby Island tigersnake

6 - Beaked sea snake

7 - Western Australian tigersnake

8 - Chappel Island tigersnake

9 - Death adder

10 - Australian copperhead

and his one is from the top 10 of everything

Top 10 'DEADLIEST SNAKES'
with maximum deaths per bite
1. BLACK MAMBA
2. FOREST COBRA
3. RUSSELL'S VIPER
4. TAIPAN
5. COMMON KRAIT
6. JARARACUSSA
7. TERCIOPELO
8. EGYPTIAN COBRA
9. INDIAN COBRA
10. JARARACA

well im stuffed

The most venomous? It would have to be a combination of both toxicity and venom yield. The most deaths would have to come from statistics.
The deadliest? Bit hard to answer ............ how dead can you get? :wink:

Ashley,

Reptile Gardens sounds like a zoo or reptile park open to the public. If that's the case, then they're going to promote species they have in their collection as it will be more impressive. Note that they justify why they don't have the deadliest - "These rare snakes are virtually unknown in collections outside of Australia." And they haven't identified their criteria for listing.

I don't know what or who 'dicov. can' or 'exn' is, although exn's list looks identical to a list of the most toxic species by LD50 published about 15 years ago by Struan Sutherland (I'm at work at present so will have to confirm when I get home). As for 'The Top Ten of Everything', well, those numbers are all over the place, aren't they?

But I like the line that the Yellow-jawed Tommygoff has 'heatseeking fangs'! LOL

:p

Hix

My thoughts on the LD50 chart is it's a bit misleading. People are alot different from mice. From what I've read, and some toxinologists I've talk with, the general opinion is that the Beaked Sea Snake is the most toxic snake in the world. However the most toxic land snake seems to be much in dispute. Some would go with the LD50 Inland Tiapan, but I've heard other names come up.

I would seriously disagree with King Cobras being on the list. As far as Cobras go, they have relatively weak venom. However, they do have a very high yeild. I've heard the Russel's Viper tossed around as far as the most dangerous snake, but if we talk of the snake responsible for the most human fatalities, then the Carpet Viper (or Saw-Scaled Viper) is the winner. Gaboon Vipers would also have to be on the list. Though there are varing opinions on his abilities as a handler, Dr. Brian Fry would be a great person to discuss this topic with.

I should also mention that Gaboon Vipers have the highest venom yeild of any known and tested snake. Not to mention the most intimidating fangs!

The best Top 10 list I have seen was put out by Queensland Museum staff. It is a graph that takes into account Venom toxixity, Venom yield, Fang length, Temper and Bite frequency.
On this Top 10 the Taipan rates #1 and the Fierce Snake is down at #6.

Fer de lance, heat seeking fangs ??? :?

Most deadly would be the one that bites you when your far from civilisation or antivenom id say. :wink:

Son_of_Ash said:
but if we talk of the snake responsible for the most human fatalities, then the Carpet Viper (or Saw-Scaled Viper) is the winner. Gaboon Vipers would also have to be on the list.

Actually, I remember reading that Rhinoceros Vipers were more widespread in Western Africa and killed more people than Gaboons.

But I have to agree - those are the most wicked looking fangs you could ever hope to see!

:p

Hix

I think that you will have more deaths by cobra bite simply becaose this snake live in area with high population.
Poor feerce snake have hard time to find him self a bloke to bite.

If you would like to see a goood discussion on the top ten list and the list that Bryan Grieg Fry has came up with, have a look at the site below

http://www.kingsnake.com/toxinology/LD50/LD50men.html

To my knowledge, these lists have been devised from all available literature on venom toxicity. I believe the subcuatneous entry would be the most appropriate when considering their toxicity through bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back