What's the best heat light.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying this is the case but more something worth considering. A CHE could possibly heat a greater area of air than a spot light used for heat and the more hot air may tend to dry the enclosure out more. I would be interested to hear from some people that have used a CHE and measured the humidity.

Depends on what sort of reflector you use, where you position it (to one side or in the middle) and whether it sit's on top of the enclosure or in it with a cage around it.

Not saying this is the case but more something worth considering. A CHE could possibly heat a greater area of air than a spot light used for heat and the more hot air may tend to dry the enclosure out more. I would be interested to hear from some people that have used a CHE and measured the humidity.

It is an interesting area because I often here it stated about how 'dry' they make enclosures but there is no technical evidence that supports it that I can find. In fact after a bit of a search I find several manufacturers saying they are very suited to species that require humidity....and even noted some threads on the Frog Forums where they prefer them because they don't dry things out as much as globes.

Being a techy person I am interested to know the physics behind it.

My own (limited) experience has not noted any difference - but I was not taking measurements either.

I use CHE and while on the really cold nights humidity drops to about 30% and the hot side drops to about 26 degrees, generally speaking my humidity levels are always between 60-70% and temps are what I've set. And I'm not too concerned about a 4-6 degree drop for a couple of hours :)

I have just done a little research on the net and think I have come up with what is happening. Cold air can not hold as much moisture as hot air can. The cold air is sucked in through the enclosure vent with little moisture. It is then heated buy the heat source to a point that can hold more moisture and it takes moisture on from the enclosure. This air is then moved out of the other vent removing moisture from the enclosure. The more air that is heated the more moisture is removed.

Melamine and Glass sounds good to me, and not only that it will help keep heat in the enclosure especially when coming to colder months. I'm looking at positioning the light/ light's towards the side of the enclosure and of course a decent sized heat cage around the light/ lights to prevent burns.

Who has used both reptile one ceramic bulb and CHE's? Which was better in the long run, like power bills raising or not, how long it last's before it blows?

Which ever one I choose I will be sure to have an extra bulb on hand in case of any unexpected blows. We probably won't be using a reflector, as we're looking at getting pre-wired ES fittings to screw into the top/ceiling of the enclosure. Caged of course. We might also have a heat tile, with heat cord routed into the melamine underneath for night heating during cold months.

Is an enclosure size of 1.8m long, 90cm wide and 90cm high ideal for the life of a Darwin? We'll probably make similar sized enclosures for our Jungles so the enclosures can be stacked. Our snakes are currently 5months old; just after ideal enclosure sizes so we can build the enclosures before it's time to upgrade their current housing.

Last edited:
A CHE stands for ceramic heat emitter so the ceramic bulb is sort of the same thing. The CHE will last a lot longer than a light but also costs more.

I have just done a little research on the net and think I have come up with what is happening. Cold air can not hold as much moisture as hot air can. The cold air is sucked in through the enclosure vent with little moisture. It is then heated buy the heat source to a point that can hold more moisture and it takes moisture on from the enclosure. This air is then moved out of the other vent removing moisture from the enclosure. The more air that is heated the more moisture is removed.

That certainly makes sense......but why would people only experience this with only with CHE's as opposed to other forms of IR or radiant heating?

That certainly makes sense......but why would people only experience this with only with CHE's as opposed to other forms of IR or radiant heating?
Possibly with the amount of air that is heated due to the larger hot surface area of the CHE compared to a light , most lights will have a reflector that keeps part of the light glass cooler than the front but I am not sure.

I have never measured humidity, I had no problems with CHE either until I was informed of these issues, when it came into summer i notice I was loosing my cool spot, hotspot would reach 33 quickly but by the end of the day the cool spot was 29-30 aswell. I didn't wana change bulbs I paid $60 for my CHE.
It comes down to the way CHEs work, they release heat slowly it a wave type deal, this heats a greater area.
Heat rises but CHEs kind of force heat around, it stead of a basking globe which would only have a strong heat area of around 35cm from the globe.

I wish I didn't have this problem I have $120 worth of CHEs at home that are useless due to the size of my enclosures and climate.

Honestly do not bother with using heat globes and lights and just stick to heat cord and tile. Simpler to set up more cost effective and safer to run. Does it really matter if you cant see it heating as long as the snakes uses its heat source? Best way to know if its working is just put a thermometer near it and check its readings.
Cheers Cameron

So CHE's globe is best in the cooler months?

Use CHE's all year round if you decide to use CHE's - there is no substantiated evidence that suggest humidity loss is an issue. If it were there would be snakes having bad sheds left right and centre, and the frog guys definitely would not be using them.

I will give CHE's a go when the setup is built, ill leave it on for a few days to test it before the snakes are ready to go into there enclosures

Use CHE's all year round if you decide to use CHE's - there is no substantiated evidence that suggest humidity loss is an issue. If it were there would be snakes having bad sheds left right and centre, and the frog guys definitely would not be using them.
I would not say there is no evidence at all. I think there is some anecdotal evidence that is worth considering. I also think that a frog enclosure has a lot more moisture for the frog and therefore does not dry out the air like it could in a snake enclosure. Saying that IMO a well hydrated snake in dry air is better than a dehydrated snake in moist air . I think some one needs to have two identical enclosures one with each type of heat source kept at the same temperature and measure the humidity in each to tell for sure.

I would not say there is no evidence at all. I think there is some anecdotal evidence that is worth considering. I also think that a frog enclosure has a lot more moisture for the frog and therefore does not dry out the air like it could in a snake enclosure. Saying that IMO a well hydrated snake in dry air is better than a dehydrated snake in moist air . I think some one needs to have two identical enclosures one with each type of heat source kept at the same temperature and measure the humidity in each to tell for sure.

Whilst I don't disagree that there is anecdotal evidence I am still not convinced that CHE's dry out enclosures any more than any other form of radiant heating.

I don't think I have seen a post here about a CHE causing husbandry or health issues due to low humidity. Given the number of users who have them I would have considered it to be more prevalent than it is if they do create problems.

Maybe they do?....I just cannot find anything that actually justifies how and why other than anecdotes that don't have any technical backing or theory...and therein probably lies my problem....I am a bit of a 'how & why' guy....:)

Whilst I don't disagree that there is anecdotal evidence I am still not convinced that CHE's dry out enclosures any more than any other form of radiant heating.

I don't think I have seen a post here about a CHE causing husbandry or health issues due to low humidity. Given the number of users who have them I would have considered it to be more prevalent than it is if they do create problems.

Maybe they do?....I just cannot find anything that actually justifies how and why other than anecdotes that don't have any technical backing or theory...and therein probably lies my problem....I am a bit of a 'how & why' guy....:)
Whilst I am still open to either side being correct I am leaning towards the anecdotal evidence until actual evidence is put forward. Also whilst I believe they may dry enclosures a bit I do not think that it is enough to cause the problems you have looked for. I also think that during winter when the air is colder and has less humidity which should increase the problem everyone turns there temps down for cooling which may reduce the problem. I m just putting my thoughts out there and would be interested in an actual trial to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back