whats the TRUTH about keeping australian reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess some people will always be but judging by the number of 'immigrants' it isn't the majority :lol: Brisbane itself like any city doesn't do it for me, where we are we get koalas, wallabies, carpets, GTS's Red Bellied Blacks, wombats, bandicoots etc etc. I wouldn't live in the City of Brisbane for anything.

peterescue said:
I get the impression people are down on the whole place

Just to help with a translation into 'strine for Moreliaman.....

Australian "exotic" = anything not native and is a term applied to all flora and fauna, so an oak tree is "exotic", but a woma is just a python

English "exotic" = anything not commonly found in those parts or nearby, so France is not exotic but Eygpt may be and certain types of behaviour can be

One of your main concerns on arrival however will be interpreting the "no thongs and singlets" signs on the local pub entrance

special thanks there to bob for making it "crystal" !! lol

not sure about the singlets, but i know what thongs are here !!

pity about not being able to keep anything else, i was looking forward to buying some of my friends fiji banded iggys ! :(

If you get a free Woma then thats it I'm leaving the country, marrying someone overseas and then coming back to get another citizenship! LOL

lol when i became a citizen nothing happend. i think my dad just said hey andrew your an aussie citzen now and showed me the passport. he was born here so i was let in no questions asked(to my knowledge).

come to melbourne. melbourne kicks ass! what are we 2nd best city in the world now(this year we got beaten by the greatest city of all VANCOUVER!!!!(go canada :p )

UK probably the same to canada when it comes to herps, no control reptiles from around the world etc. prepare for a fun shock. $50 a year(for vic people) for a basic reptile licence and you have to inform them once a year of how many animals you have if any died if any laid eggs how many eggs hatch or died blah blah blah....

andrew

jeez.................could this have something to do with australia having such a perfect climate ?

for reptiles yes, for a guy whos max summer temp for the entireity of his live was 32'C no. 40'C days i barely move, maybe go for a swim thats it. you'll probably be happy if you end up in melbourne instead brissy etc when you don't have to deal with the excessive heat.

andrew

In QLD you pay $55 for a licence for 5 years, and all you have to do is by a $2.50 form for transactions to let QPWS know you have added more wildlife to your licence.

In NSW, a class 1 licence, which gives you a fairly big variety to choose from is $120 for 5 years

this will be different, ive never paid my local council a fee to keep reptiles !! atleast it isnt expensive ! when i had the reptile shop, a customer wanted to buy a wagglers pit viper, it cost him over ?900 (about $2200.00) to get the DWA licence needed, we later found out that the council didnt really want anyone keeping venomous !

nsw & qld are sounding like the clear winners here when it comes to keeping herps !!

Moreliaman said:
jeez.................could this have something to do with australia having such a perfect climate ?

Actually Melbourne and Vancouver take it in turns to get this award. You may feel happier in Vancouver because it rains a lot and that would be similar to what you are used too ;-)

The ratings are based not just on climate but ease of transport, living costs, employment opportunities etc. etc.

Melbourne has the advantage of being a planned city from day one so many of the roads etc. are well organised. It still amazes me that nearly 200 years ago Batman had the forthought to plan the main city roads about 100 meters across. This would have been far more than was needed in the horse and buggy days.

Victoria's herp laws are very good if what you are interested in keeping is on the schedules. The license fee covers all the paper work such as import and export permits... this makes life a lot easer. The department is also very prompt in issuing permits with most coming through in about 24 hours. In most other states it can take weeks. Alas if your passion is file snakes or leaf tailed geckos.... forget it!

--
Herp Shop - http://www.herpshop.com.au
hs_CompleteChondro_thumb.jpg

January 2006 Herp Shop Special
Order your copy of the
** Hot off the press **
"The More Complete Chondro"
during January 2006 and receive a bonus free Oz Herp Thermometer and Oz Herp Hygrometer with each copy.
These neat little units normally sell for $6 each or $10 the pair.
hs_OzHerpTherHygro_thumb.jpg

You do have to wonder whether the people who vote for this award have actually ever been to Melbourne :lol: I would have thought it rains just as much in Melbourne as Vancouver or anywhere for that matter, at least as they say if you don't like the weather in Melbourne just wait a few minutes. The only place I know that can be 40 degrees one day and 18 the next.
My advice would be to stay well clear of the Mexicans and cockroaches and head up here :lol:

herptrader said:
Actually Melbourne and Vancouver take it in turns to get this award. You may feel happier in Vancouver because it rains a lot and that would be similar to what you are used too ;-)

Yes that was the strange thing, individual councils obviously had different rules and would encourage or discourage the keeping of dangerous animals as they saw fit. When I was living there a few years ago I toyed with the idea of getting a caiman and went to the council to find out what was necessary and it was remarkably easy and cost very little, a simple inspection and that was it but I have heard other places quite nearby were totally different.
Where was your shop ?

Moreliaman said:
this will be different, ive never paid my local council a fee to keep reptiles !! atleast it isnt expensive ! when i had the reptile shop, a customer wanted to buy a wagglers pit viper, it cost him over ?900 (about $2200.00) to get the DWA licence needed, we later found out that the council didnt really want anyone keeping venomous !

nsw & qld are sounding like the clear winners here when it comes to keeping herps !!

My shop was in swindon, wiltshire. like you say, it varies according from council to council. i know in the next county up i could get a dwa no problems for about ?150. the government are in the process now of trying to pull all the councils together so they have they same rules & fees. like i said, ive sold 99% of my reptiles, i had 3 different uroplatus, gutted !! oh well :?

herptrader, can you clarify the "import/export permits ! i presume you mean from state to state and not another country !!

Swindon, well I can understand why you want out. We lived in Bath which is sort of chalk and cheese as far as Swindon goes.
Do you happen to know Ray Gabriel at all ?

We have a bizarre system of import/export licenses used when animals are moved across State borders, weird I know. Up here we have a movement advice which serves the same purpose but the seller fills it out himself whereas in NSW you have to wait a week or more for it to be issued.

Ray lives just up the road from me in Highworth, in the spider world i dont think theres many that dont know of, or have'nt had dealings with the infamous Mr ray gabriel !!!. mind you there isnt much he doesnt know about tarantulas ! If you speak to him, tell him to get a bloddy hair cut ! he looks like a girl.....lol
Bath eh, atleast you lived in one of the nicest citys in the UK swindons a bit of a dump !

actually...thinking about it, i remember ray comming in the shop before with a friend (strong australian accent) it wasnt you was it ? this guy had long kinda slightly curleyish light brown/blonde hair (like rays except rays is grey!) taller than ray (altho most people are ! lol ) .

This is all making much more sense now, yes I think that was me, I did go with him to a shop in Swindon. Ray is a great guy, for a Scotsman :lol: As you say he really knows his spiders, his little flat was packed to the rafters with tarantulas and bird eating spiders in and out of cages :lol:
Small world eh ?

Yes you are right, Bath is indeed one of the nicest cities in the UK, maybe that explains why I miss it so much ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back