Whats your profession? And Why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iv'e done quite a few jobs over the years, ive been a fabricator and a detailer even studied herpetology and vet science. but i did trades in, believe it or not, hairdressing and makeup :) lol pretty embarrassing but what's done is done,and chicks dig it :p hahah
interesting thread!
smithy.

Wow! What a great thread :)

i work at coles, in the deli. why? because slicing meat and stickng my head in a case full of dead fish excites me.

I just finished my first year of uni doing a double degree of marketing and advertising, and hated every second of it. now i am searching for a full time job, so i can afford to support myself through the associate degree of policing, which would make me a probationary constable in a year.

I really want to be a cop and work with young people. a year ago this month, a 16 year old boy, who was a friend, lost his life in a drink driving accident, just 6 days before christmas. It rocked my whole town. the day after the news, myself and about 60 other youths met at a park in town for a sort of memorial service. his mum, who is an amazing woman, told us she had to identify tj by the ring on his finger, that was all that was left of him. tjs death touched everyone of bathurst, he was such a beautiful kid, who died in the most horrible and undignified way. unfortunately, months past and people seemed to forget what happened, and kids, even those who were friends with tj, are still getting done for drinking driving and speeding.. things that are totally avoidable yet can kill. i would love to be a police youth worker who can help to steer kids back on track and get them the help they need to change their life.

I also hate drugs. i am 18 and i can count on my hands the people i know who HAVENT done.drugs, which disgusts me. everyone i know takes pills, or smokes weed. its not that im hanging with the wrong crowd, its just what kids do now. I have never done illegal drugs and i never will. ive watched substance abuse tear my sisters family apart. my nephews dad has been on rehab for drug abuse all year, and everyday he cries saying.he misses his dad. he is 5 and im pretty sure he is depressed. i wish i could just make people understand that your life is great, youre alive stop complaining!! You dont need drugs to make you feel better. in the long run drugs will only make your life WORSE. in my lifetime, i hope i can get young people to understand...

Wow - first pages are a real smash hit - I haven't had time to get through page 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.... That might be today's job... But single mums/dads, stay home partners... It's an amazing but the least rewarded job on the planet.

Here's my idea of the 'perfect' world scenario.

1 parent from the family stays home, they build a network in the community so if this parent was to be sick or unable to look after junior, someone in the community would be able to help. The other partner brings home the food (not just bacon). And at least two or three times a month the community helps out to allow the partners to 'enjoy' themselves.

Why doesn't that seem to work now-a-days?

And if there was the unfortunate case where a single parent was raising the child (as in my case and others that I've read so far) then the community should be solid enough to be able to help out.

Well... Why am I a teacher? A teacher of physics and science?

I always love the "Those that can't do, teach...."

Simple answer to that, "Those that can't teach, can't see the future in us...."

I did have a choice of a few jobs. One was an environmental scientist... But *yawn.... I could do better for the environment as one person in front of hundreds, than one person with my back against the wall with ignorant farmers!

I was thinking of air traffic control... Unfortunately I found out I was colour blind... Ever seen the movie Little Miss Sunshine.... Well, not quite as dramatic, but, it meant no air traffic control for me...

I was so lucky to get into teaching, because firstly... It allowed me to travel ALL of the east coast of Australia, experience things I've never experienced, move (back) to rural NZ and... Now am the head of sciences at South Otago High School!

And... About to go on a 6 week vacation from South Otago to Nelson Bays... to Punakaiki to Franz Joseph... To Alexandra and Queenstown... To Tuatapere to Curio Bay.... And then amble home after the dog and I enjoy 31 days of having to do NOTHING!!! (except survive and pitch a tent at various locations).

So... Teaching... And I know of a few other teachers here who probably agree.... There's no way you do it for the money or the holidays - though there's no way you could do it if it wasn't for those holidays!

PS - cwebb - I don't do drugs, at all! And I don't hang with people that do... Unfortunately, I wished I could say the same for some of my students. A terrible waste. Some could have easily gone on to be sporting heroes, medical doctors, etc etc - but they waste their lives when so young!

IT support, but I absolutely hate it. I finished B. Engineering (Software) at the end of last year, so I'm looking around for programming related jobs.

Really though, I hate working for other people. I hate the power tripping and ego that seems to come from managers.
I dislike how management and business in general are largely male dominated and an absolute boy's club.
I hate being stuck in a dead end job where managers don't recognise skills and treat you as a naive moron because you're young.

Eventually I'd like to combine my programming skills with foreign exchange, and become a full time trader.

Last edited:
Make sure you take plenty of pics Slim6y

It's the WHOLE idea of this journey! It's a photography trip - no herps... (most likely) Plenty of birds (feathered and the like), scenery and hopefully some of the more unusual scenes. The SLR batteries are going to get their work out! I purchased a 2TB external especially for the journey!

I want to see some pics of a Kiwi bird :D

Can't take the dog onto conservation land - so the kiwi 'bird' won't be on my target.

Luckily I'll come across plenty of Weka - they look like kiwi's (to some degree) and so if I get a 'blurry' shot of one of them, I'll post it as a kiwi :)

I also probably won't be coming across any takahe, or kakapo - which is a total shame. The dog does limit my entering conservation lands. But, where I can, and he'll be safe, I'll venture into some of the bushland without him.

I can't wait to get back to Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers - it's been over 15 years since I last visited! I'm so so so excited for it!

And this is why I teach :)

I want to see some pics of a Kiwi bird :D

The only place I know of up the coast that slim could get close enough to photograph a kiwi doesn't allow flash photography. Eco house in Hokitika.
You'll be going past there Slim, you should check it out. It's a bit budge, but the giant eel display is pretty darn cool, especially at feeding time, the crays look delicious, there's tuatara and the kiwi tend to cruise pretty close to the glass.
Also there used to be some good musseling spots up along the coast road there and up around Okarito on the way to Franz. I don't know how it is now, we're talking about a decade, but definitely have a few stops; there's some very subtle accesses to the beach between Puni and Greymouth with scenery to die for.

After bub is born next year and i save up some more hols, i will be coming over to NZ.... i may just have to sneak a kiwi back with me... the bird i mean.... um the flightles bird,... ok not working for me ... Not a woman :S

After bub is born next year and i save up some more hols, i will be coming over to NZ.... i may just have to sneak a kiwi back with me... the bird i mean.... um the flightles bird,... ok not working for me ... Not a woman :S

I'll shout you a Monteiths then when you're here... We can go check out some jewelled gex too if you're in my area :)

As for kiwis - yeah, you'll want to get to either Stewart Island or one of the other conservation islands (you'll need to book those sorts of things).

It's a trip I plan doing in the next few years.

Im a plumber by trade. Was a house dad for the 4 best years of my life. Now i have the best job in the world, I build reptile enclosures for Reptiles Inc.

Thanks Richard

Wow - first pages are a real smash hit - I haven't had time to get through page 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.... That might be today's job... But single mums/dads, stay home partners... It's an amazing but the least rewarded job on the planet.

Here's my idea of the 'perfect' world scenario.

1 parent from the family stays home, they build a network in the community so if this parent was to be sick or unable to look after junior, someone in the community would be able to help. The other partner brings home the food (not just bacon). And at least two or three times a month the community helps out to allow the partners to 'enjoy' themselves.

Why doesn't that seem to work now-a-days?

And if there was the unfortunate case where a single parent was raising the child (as in my case and others that I've read so far) then the community should be solid enough to be able to help out.

I like the way you think. We are lucky enough to have a great support network and quite often get given a break to have some mummy and daddy time by either my husbands parents or my very good friend who's daughter is my daughters "bwestest fwiend" as they say.

i also have many single parent family's around us that we as a group try to do the same for. I think that its probably more important for them to get a break because they have no partner to support them or give them 5 minutes of me time, so that they can recharge.

I may be a bit old fashioned in my thoughts, but growing up in a single parent family where we had to go to a babysitters nearly every day because mum had to work to support us, it was one of the things I had said that if my situation allowed, I would never do, and even though financially it isnt easy it is whats best for me and my bubba.

Haha I WISH I could let the little guy out of my sight for 5 seconds !!!!!! Cant do it; need to know he's there and he's ok.

hahaha! yes but he's brand new!!! its taken me 3 yrs to be able to not stress!!! Plus we wanna have number 2 and she makes that very hard!!!!LOL

Slightly off topic but does anyone else read the topic of this thread and picture Arnold Schwarzenegger saying "Who is your daddy and what does he do?"
It happens to me every time

Slightly off topic but does anyone else read the topic of this thread and picture Arnold Schwarzenegger saying "Who is your daddy and what does he do?"
It happens to me every time

UM no, but now you have me literally LOL'ing and my daughter is looking at me as if I am crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back