where is Ram Chandra now

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djai

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone know what legendary snake demonstrator Ram Chandra is up to now days ?. Is he still active in the herp community? Is he still living in Aust ?.

I can remember when I was about 8 years old (14 yrs ago). I saw him conduct a snake show in Rockhampton, Cenral QLD. I havent heard much about him since then.

Cheers dee.

You know what djai, I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. I'm remember seeing him here in Ipswich when I was about 8 or 10 as well (about 16) years ago. I always remember his as the 'Taipan Man'. I think I have one of his books signed here somewhere...

Id hold on to that signed book of his, might be worth a fair bit , it would definatly be a collecters item for sure.

I remember at his show in rockhampton being pressed up to a 2 foot high baracade in the middle of a busy shopping center watching this old guy sitting on a stool handling highly venomous snakes.

I woudnt imagine seeing a snake show like that now days.

Re: RE: where is Ram Chandra now

djai said:

cannot comment on hi show never saw it, you do know there are some still around but dont you ?
few display ones i have seen and a show one with a pit as well around brisbane.

saw a great one in thailand last year, great as in my my these people are mad, not so nice for the snakes, over crouded and not in the best of conditions, but then you look how they live (some of the people) and the snakes had it pretty good.
anyhow cheers me

RE: Re: RE: where is Ram Chandra now

I have a signed copy of his book, Yes a legend indeed! And a very lucky one at that.

Here is a scan of the book in question.

He passed away some time back his wife still lives in Mackay
mick

Djai, if you're after someone who does demonstrations using a pit rather than a series of cages there's someone near you who does them, though he doesn't actually free handle the snakes (which I'd say is a good thing lol). The business name is Saul's Snake Shows and the guy who does the demonstrations is Adrian Saul.

Re: RE: where is Ram Chandra now

djai said:
Id hold on to that signed book of his, might be worth a fair bit , it would definatly be a collecters item for sure.

I remember at his show in rockhampton being pressed up to a 2 foot high baracade in the middle of a busy shopping center watching this old guy sitting on a stool handling highly venomous snakes.

I also have a signed copy of the same book nvenm8 posted. Not sure if it is all that valuable as I only paid $2 for my copy.

re where

In search of the taipan is a good read,ive got a signed one also,must have sold and signed a few at his shows. :lol:

RE: re where

i talked to ram lots of time, we used to give him free mice years ago when ever we had to many, he was a great man and a legend, it was a very sad day in mackay when he passed on, his family still live around the area and he is very much missed,

RIP ram......... a legend and a great man...................

RE: Re: RE: re where

I have a signed copy of that book too, :shock: :lol: I got it in Ipswich at one of his shows when I was a kid and I remember him as the taipan man also.........

Re: RE: Re: RE: where is Ram Chandra now

Kersten said:
Djai, if you're after someone who does demonstrations using a pit rather than a series of cages there's someone near you who does them, though he doesn't actually free handle the snakes (which I'd say is a good thing lol). The business name is Saul's Snake Shows and the guy who does the demonstrations is Adrian Saul.

i do beleive adrian sold up last month to a bloke named david, he has moved the show base from the coast to strathpine and now goes under the name radical reptiles he can be found on http://www.radicalreptiles.net.au/ same show, same reptiles, same pit, he also has a new static display trailer as well, just diferent bloke :D , nice bloke to talk to i have been over to his house and seen all the kids, helped him move a few cages while i was there 8) wish some of them was into my cars but it was not the case.
anyhow hope that helps all the same
cheers
chris

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: where is Ram Chandra now

Well there you go eh, shame really because I was really impressed by Adrian's technique at the shows. But I'm sure this guy'll do just as well :D I know what you mean about wishing to load the kids into your car, Adrian had a stunning Inland Taipan I'd just loved to have snuck into the boot but I don't think Pandora would have been too happy about there being a new "queen bee" in the house :roll: :lol:

The last show up in CQ would have been that yeah. Or the Harbour Festival in Gladstone perhaps.

last show

Kersten said:
The last show up in CQ would have been that yeah. Or the Harbour Festival in Gladstone perhaps.

not sure i will ask for you, i know david was up north the last few weeks at cairns, charters towers area, and he is away somewhere at the moment too, not sure exactly when handover was but it has only been in the last few months. :D

they (as adrian had) a great setup, with editions, i think it is great there are people doing it (educational shows that is), and after all if you can make a living from it what a great job :lol:

cheers
chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back