Which to buy -- MD v Children's Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 270

Reaction score
Yeah! I know I said that I was only going to have one snake, and I still intend buying a Diamond but I have a bit of money in my pocket and I'm thinking of getting a second snake.

Based on my research, the two candidates are a MD or a Childreni.

rodentranger said that her MD "Emdee" loves to cuddle her. And you have probably seen Afro's Childreni that he has for sale.

My research has been done on the following web pages:

Children's Python
http://www.mark.org.au/pages/cs_childrenspython.htm

Murray Darling Carpet Python
http://www.mark.org.au/pages/cs_carpetpython.htm

I don't have any snakes at the moment and my budget of $500 must include an enclosure. This is for a hatchling.

Which do you suggest I buy and why?

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Wombat, there are alot of factors involved in choosing which python to buy. The main question is do you have the room to house two large adult pythons(including the diamond). If you do, the choice is purely up to preference as neither are very difficult to keep.

As far as the housing goes, I find the hatchlings settle down better in small plastic tubs, either like the small plastic fish tank like containers easily obtained from pet shops, or save a few bucks and buy small plastic tub with a secure lid (about shoebox size) drill plenty of holes for ventilation. Then just get a heat cord for about $25 place it under half the tank, put a thermostat on the cord and you are away. Keep in mind that carpets and diamonds will grow out of this set up very quickly but you can always buy a larger tub. The tub and heat cord will cost about $50, the thermostat about $100 (and you would only have to get another tub to house another snake). This set up (depending on the size of the second larger tubs) should last you about a year, plenty of time to sort out their long term homes. Its not pretty to look at, but it is very efficient.

My two cents about what to buy would be, go childrens pythons be it Stimson, Mac or childreni. I keep all three and cant get enough of them. Why? Small to house, wide variation in colour and pattern, can keep adults together in the same cage (so again easy on space), easy to keep, and easy to breed.

In the end it is all up to you.Hope I have been helpful.
ihaveherps

Only getting one snake!!! lol. Wombat, reptiles are an addiction, and there is no rehab! My girlfriend four years ago after much grovelling said "Alright you can get one, but only a small one!" now she too is addicted, i now own 11 pythons, 6 lizards, and have 6 more snakes coming. Welcome to the dark side.

Ok, I'm sold. Time to buy a breeding pair of Macs. what is the recommended cage size for adults? I know I could buy "keeping children's Pythons" but you guys are much more fun to learn from. ... Now, who was selling a breeding pair of blonde macs?

i agree with ihaveherps, there are many factors, which one do you like most? they are botha easy to care for. as said MD get large on average probably 7ft or so and will need a 4x2x2 when adult size and will eventually feed on pretty large rats, where as the childrens or spotteds, dont get so big they dont eat such large items and they keep in a much smaller enclosure. both are great snakes but imo i think it is personal preference. if you want a bigger snake go the MD if you want small go the childreni. they would both cost the same to set up as they are pretty much the same price and they would need the same set-up for a hatchy.

Jason is bang on, comes down to preference. My girlfriend loves my first snake (a spotted python). She calls him a pretty boy and is the first to bring him out to show new people. An adult antaresia can live in a 90x40x40 cm enclosure and I had my pair sharing an enclosure that size for a while.

My advice is that they are both snakes with good reputations as being good pets. I you want a larger pet the MD if space a problem then the antaresia.

MD, bigger is better :wink: The bigger snakes are great, plus as a hatchie you get the best of both worlds as it grows. In all seriousness tho I think either is a great option, and you will probably end up getting both types in the long run so it doesnt matter :wink:

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll have the best of both worlds, both a diamond and a Childreni. :lol: I already have an enclosure (almost finished) for the Diamond and yes, space is a concideration. I PMed Afro about his Childreni just after my original post here. I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

Now, if I can sell my fish tank and fish, I'll have a perfect place for a Childreni setup. :lol:

you get more bang for your buck with an MD. BUT how can size be an issue? an MD juvie sub-adult will be all good in a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft as a childreni adult

Yeah, but why think of tomorrow Munkee :) lol :) Have replied now Wombat, sorry for the delay but I've been at the VHS meeting all evening. By the way, I've got a couple of polycarb enclosures that I am thinking of selling too :)

True by the time the MD has grown up the collection will probably be 5 snakies anyways!

Hi Wombat.
Childreni are a delightful snake, but so damn wiggly! Until I learnt better, when I first inherited mine they were getting out all the time. They are little Houdini Herps and can wiggle out of the tiniest gap. My only female, Shu, is still at large somewhere. And one of the boys, Po, has decided to take up residence with my jungle male, Isosceles. They go all mopy if I seperate them, you know how some race horses have a goat or a shaggy shetland pony or whatever as a stablemate and won't race unless it's there?
So, if you have gaps or would prefer your new python to bond to you rather than the diamond, perhaps go the MD!
Lily.
PS, I can't leave it at that cos it sounds like I don't like my wiggly little bachelor boys. Contrary, I LOVE them. They are so sweet and gentle with the cutest little faces (boggly eyes and a permanent startled expression). Do it, Wombat, get several!

Still love my Emdee. She is still a cuddler. Never struck at me ever. Boof the little guy, who is not so little any more is becoming a bit of a guts as well. Only time he's struck at me was when he was being probed down at URS when I bought him. Didn't like that probe eh? :lol: Very nice placid snakes. We've got the enclosures for both of them when they are big enough. Cheers Cheryl PS We don't have these two together. Waiting a couple/few years before mating.

I have replied to Afro's PM and asked him for pics of the parents and a price on an enclosure.

I won't be getting too may snakes as I can't afford the power bill, and as far as the council knows, I'll only be getting one.

I didn't know that a Childreni would be so wiggly and get out all the time. May I'll need one of Afro's enclosures.

I have just seen the pics of the parents of Afro's Childreni and it looks like we maybe able to do a deal. :D

wombat said:
I have replied to Afro's PM and asked him for pics of the parents and a price on an enclosure.

I won't be getting too may snakes as I can't afford the power bill, and as far as the council knows, I'll only be getting one.

I didn't know that a Childreni would be so wiggly and get out all the time. May I'll need one of Afro's enclosures.

I have just seen the pics of the parents of Afro's Childreni and it looks like we maybe able to do a deal. :D

Just interested Wombat, does your local council need to know what reptiles you keep? Dont know anything about VIC laws.
Cheers.

olivehydra said:
Just interested Wombat, does your local council need to know what reptiles you keep? Dont know anything about VIC laws.
Cheers.

Yes, there is a by-law that says that I must have council permission to even keep reptiles. They must be non-venomous. I posted a thread about it earlier this year which quoted the actual by-law. It turned out to be a fairly long thread. I'll try and find it.

Thanks for all your suggestions. This is what I have decided. I am buying a Childreni from Afro. I will have to do the right thing by the council and get a permit for another one, but I will wait until I get my Childreni. Remember the 6 month rule? :wink: :lol: I will ask the council about a permit to keep a MD as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back