Who keeps Perentis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebos

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking at getting a perenti I'm just wondering if anyone on here keeps them.

Cheers Brenton

Cool people with lots of money and time keep them , one day I will keep them!

They are the bees knees!

Looks like I might end up with a hatchy this year. Hope so soon as I know I'll deck out a bedroom for it.

Cheers Brenton

Ok. Alot of people keep prentie , scrubbys can kill and no one seems upset that 15 year olds buy them. I am sure the OP is not stupid , and knows what he is getting.

No, a lot of people DON'T keep Perenties. Or at least, taht's what I got from the husbandry manual.

yet again,
I don't think he was asking to be hassled...

and hey, if something goes wrong Brenton, the Aus Military will come save you like loyal co-workers ;) (maybe...until they see the perenti!)

goodluck, have fun! I wish I could see your ladies face when you tell her this one though honestly hahah

Last edited:
It's going to take 4-5 years before it will grow to over 2 meters.

Cheers Brenton

Hahaha I been warming her up for a while now. And I told her on the phone.

Cheers Brenton

In no way am I trying to put you down... just thinking that you should go for a smaller monitor species before a Perentie, eg a gouldii.

No, a lot of people DON'T keep Perenties. Or at least, taht's what I got from the husbandry manual.

Right , well I know of a good 5 people who keep them and I don't like talking to reptile people.But you have fun with your manuals.

I never thought you where trying to put me down but why get something I don't like? So I can have it and not want it. I don't get y ppl are offering me suggestions read the heading.

Cheers Brenton

I always chuckle when the various 'snakelurvers' comment on threads. Always offering advice on reptiles they haven't kept or quoting facts they're not sure are true or not. lol

In my experience working with monitors and perenties in particular, they don't need a bedroom for floorspace, you need to be able to maintain the high temperatures required. Realistically, a Large pit can be constructed in a garage with floodlights used for heating for example. They rarely become amenable to handling, and a warmed up perentie is clumsily excitable at feed time. More alert than lacies and Mertens, more likely to fight than flight. Juveniles and adults are advertised on classifieds sites a couple of times a year without fail from different sellers.

Despite what the books say, you'll probably never find a 2.5m perentie. They get to around 2m, maybe a bit more. Although technically this is the same maximum length as the lace monitor, a 2m perentie is a substantially bigger animal because they have a proportionately shorter tail, so more of that length is body. In my opinion they're far less dangerous than a lace monitor, but just need a lot more floor space because they're not as big on climbing and consequently need to get their exercise on a horizontal plane. They certainly don't take 4-5 years to get big, either, unless you're intentionally slowing the growth.

How long would it take for one to be classed as adult size.

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back