Who keeps Perentis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate theyre absolutely amazing varanids, very intelligent I can just watch them and see it in them, we have an absolutely amazing pair, like dogs will follow you and don't hiss puff whip when you try to pic them up, but ours are a one of a kind, but cause I say this don't get me wrong, they'll do Alot of damage if they want or you get caught in feeding, vary powerful demanding lizards, the way they swagger around they're enclosure investigating every new thing, male is around 2 meters female is smaller, they breed, and we have a smaller female a yearling who trusts us but don't want to get in the way of, I trigger train them just makes them a bit easier to work with a feeding time, on the other hand my mates you can get in they're enclosure they'll run at you, it depends on the lizard but just watching the eyes as they scan the enclosure so intelligently just gets the heart pumping, I have plenty of experience and have about 14 monitor species, I'm 13 ;)

I have plenty of experience and have about 14 monitor species, I'm 13 ;)[/QUOTE]
Not bad considering there are 25 monitor species in oz and you're only 13!!
What species do you keep Monitordude?

I know I have no experience in this.
I was assuming they were as dangerous, if not more, as a Lace Monitor.
Plus, because of their large size, I was assuming they would need a large space.

I know I have no experience in this.
I was assuming they were as dangerous, if not more, as a Lace Monitor.
Plus, because of their large size, I was assuming they would need a large space.

You should never assume! If you don't know about it simply don't comment.

I have watched one grow at each SOFAR expo in Newcastle. It started off at about 30cm long and last expo was over the meter and probably 50 times the 30cm weight. I wonder how big it will be at the next March Expo.

Snakeluvver3 you're welcome to disagree with me, but thank you for being honest by pointing out that your opinion was based on assumption rather than experience. My statement was based on my personal experiences with both species. Although I haven't spent nearly as much time with perenties as I have with lace monitors, the perenties I have had experience with weren't nearly as much of a weapon as lace monitors I've dealt with. The feeding response is strong in both species, but because lace monitors are such great climbers there's a third dimension one has to worry about. Also, the defence response is quite different. By the way, those husbandry manuals, while well researched and very professional looking (and this is by no means a comment on the talents of the person that wrote that one, for I think it was clearly well researched), are done by students as part of a diploma/degree rather than by experienced professionals, so I wouldn't use them as a reference one can swear by.

Br3nton, depending on heat and food, they can easily get to adult size in 2 years, but even at a healthier, slightly slower rate of growth you're going to have a big animal within 3 years.

Thanks mate. Glad someone has some experience who can talk. cage dimensions for a adult a 5m squared ok for one adult.

Cheers Brenton

They're awesome lizards, I'd love to see what the enclosures look like that people keep them in.

If you mean 5m x 5m rather than 5 square metres, that's a good sized area

Yeah sorry haha I ment 5 x 5. I just went and saw a friend that keeps them. And he said there not to hard to keep and gave me a few pointers. Dose anyone have any pics of there enclosures.

Cheers Brenton

Do you have any pictures

Cheers Brenton

Yeah hahaha seeing Petes was not enough.

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back