who understands the nsw regs regarding enclosure sizes ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasssss

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so got a question for those who understand the new regulations on enclosure sizes in nsw

im going to start building some new enclosures to house my new jungle jag and coastal hatchies when their older , i am thinking of going 1600mmL X 800mmH X600mmD

my question is , with the new regulations , what would be the maximum size snake that can be kept in these enclosures

cheers thomas

New NSW regulations, The dimensions refer to the base of the enclosure measured externally. The Jungle python would be a Class B python needing length 60-90cm x width 45-60cm. The Coastal would be a Class C python and need Length 90-150cm x width 60-90cm.

is there any requirements on heights or is it just floor space they say? But obviously you would need height for those species

The draft regulations only specify the minimum length and width of an enclosure. So for a Coastal you could have a 90cm long x 60cm wide x 5cm high enclosure. Impractical but within law.

im pretty sure the smallest dimension cant be less than 20% of the snakes body length.

Last edited:
Fairly sure the minimum size requirements will be reviewed in 5 years and you can bet that those amended sizes will be more than the current ones so whatever you do don't make enclosures to the minimum of the current regs.

The draft regulations only specify the minimum length and width of an enclosure. So for a Coastal you could have a 90cm long x 60cm wide x 5cm high enclosure. Impractical but within law.

For arboreal species you can use the back wall size. so the enclosure you have has a wall space of 1.28m. so you could keep any of the morelia except the scrub, in an enclosure that size. and as stated by chris1, ​4.3.1.1 The enclosure’s shortest floor dimension must not be less than 20% of the total length of the largest snake being housed.

Last edited:
cheers guys

should clear up a few things , i realise that there considered arboreal species and prefer high over length but at the moment hight isnt very practical for a few reasons , ventilation , space etc 800mm h is enough room for perches etc i may push it to 900mm or 1M not sure yet

also i realise that i may have to upgrade again in the future (particularly the coastals ) , that doesn't bother me i can just use these enclosures for womas

basically what i was wondering was , with these dimensions and taking into consideration the 20% rule and all the other stuff ( which i haven't quite got my head around yet as i havent read it in full ) what size snakes could be kept in these enclosures

not whether there an B or a C category animal ( as i thought that stuff was only a guide and that it came down to the particulars animal size , so you could upgrade as the animal grew rather than just have a hatchy tub than throwing a yearling coastal into a enclosure made for a fully grown animal

Last edited:
3m max, (due to the 20% rule, and shortest dimension being 60cms)

3m max, (due to the 20% rule, and shortest dimension being 60cms)
righto cheers , i just had a look at the code again and i think its that they put things in squared CM is what threw me off , a L X H X D would be alot more helpful , thanks again

Last edited:
cheers guys

should clear up a few things , i realise that there considered arboreal species and prefer high over length but at the moment hight isnt very practical for a few reasons , ventilation , space etc 800mm h is enough room for perches etc i may push it to 900mm or 1M not sure yet

also i realise that i may have to upgrade again in the future (particularly the coastals ) , that doesn't bother me i can just use these enclosures for womas

basically what i was wondering was , with these dimensions and taking into consideration the 20% rule and all the other stuff ( which i haven't quite got my head around yet as i havent read it in full ) what size snakes could be kept in these enclosures

not whether there an B or a C category animal ( as i thought that stuff was only a guide and that it came down to the particulars animal size , so you could upgrade as the animal grew rather than just have a hatchy tub than throwing a yearling coastal into a enclosure made for a fully grown animal

the last paragraph sums it up correctly

Could you please provide a link to the new regulations? We're moving to NSW this month and Google searches have thrown up several different guildeline codes of practice for the keeping of reptiles in NSW. Most of which provide completely different or conflicting information. Our snakes are only young (5-6months), but I'd like to know in advance what is legal for when the time comes to build them full sized enclosures (I already have an idea on what sized enclosures are needed, but I'm unsure if they fit the specifications as stated in the regulations).

The regs do not state a minimum length and width of a snake enclosure. Appendix B provides some examples of compliant enclosure sizes and calculations but they are not 'set' dimensions that you must follow - You can follow them but these are only examples of sizes that comply - You can build any shape or size that complies with the requirement of Section 4.3

There was discussion about this in earlier threads ...... as long as you meet your minimum floor (and/or wall for arboreal) area for your Class, and the smallest floor dimension is no less that 20% of the length of the snake enclosed within, it complies. The enclosure can be any size or shape as long as it complies with these 2 relatively simple measurements.

I have enclosures that are all very different in size and shape, but all comply (in fact greatly exceed) the Cops.

Thomasss.....To answer your first question - What is the biggest snake you can keep in your proposed enclosure? The minimum floor dimension is 600mm. This dimension can be no less than 20% of the largest snakes length so 600mm x 5 = 3000 (3m). This applies to all classes of snake that you may wish to house in that enclosure.

Your enclosure 'area' for the purpose of Clause 4.3.1.4 is 1600 x 600 (for terrestrial species) or 1600 x 800 for arboreal species. Both your Jungle and Coastal are arboreal so the latter is your area to use. 1600x800 = 1.28mSq.

Min area for Class C (Jungle) is 0.4mSq so technically yours is two thirds 'bigger' than the min required by the COP for a Jungle, and can house a Jungle up to 3 metres in length.

Min area for Class D (Coastal) is 0.625 so technically your proposed enclosure is almost 'double' the minimum required by the COP and can house a Coastal up to 3 metres in length.

Your enclosure actually 'just' meets Class E (1.225mSq) and will legally house an Olive or Scrub python as long as they did not exceed 3 metres.

I have heard on good authority that 'minimum' requirements will be reviewed after 12 months and increased - so expect changes in 18 months or so (these new COPS are not mandatory until next year). I personally don't mind the snake regs....In most cases a 'minimum' size by the regs would are smaller than I would want to keep a snake in under normal circumstances anyway.

Hope that helps....

Last edited:
Could you please provide a link to the new regulations? We're moving to NSW this month and Google searches have thrown up several different guildeline codes of practice for the keeping of reptiles in NSW. Most of which provide completely different or conflicting information. Our snakes are only young (5-6months), but I'd like to know in advance what is legal for when the time comes to build them full sized enclosures (I already have an idea on what sized enclosures are needed, but I'm unsure if they fit the specifications as stated in the regulations).

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/wildlifelicences/20130185ReptileCode.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back