Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work mate I love my RBBS use to love seeing these as a kid, I cant see people's logic in wanting them dead, their such a magnificant species!!

Yeh,,well...Sdaji i wasnt really in the mood for handeling him like that,,,trust me he was pretty peeved with humans by the time i got there,,,it was a pretty cold winters day(QLD standards hehe,,18deg) but he wasent showing that he was cold...he moved like a 30deg summer day!! There was just no other way...tried to balance him out with two golf clubs,,but he just wasent going to play ball,,pardon the pun.

I'm not telling you off if that's what you're thinking. I genuinely hope he got scared of you. Red-bellieds get used to people and just ignore them, which is good, or at least it would be if people didn't want to kill them for being comfortable enough not to run away.

Red-bellieds like it cold :) If they can survive in Melbourne they'll think any day in Brisbane is pretty comfy ;)

i agree,i c a couple nearly every week around the racecourse where i take my dogs 4 a walk,they are always sunning themselfs on the dirt track,theres 1 about a meter and a half,rest are only small 1s,i just walk around them,tryin not 2 bother them at all.

G'day mate,

Well done on getting him away from the golf club wielding morons...however, be very careful when performing head restraints using the grip you used, it can go very wrong very quickly!

well done mate, your a good bloke, more pickies please :)
cheers

i would love to see some more pics also... from the title of this thread i thought it wasnt going to be a happy ending, so glad it was...., so sad about the other RBBS and Diamond tho.

I remember when i was face painting at a winery, there was some commotion down on the grassy area. People where getting up very quickly from their chairs and pointing.
I was told that a snake had come out from under the low platform (where a bunch people were dancing) and was heading for the shrubs, unfortunately these people decided that the snake was better off a dead one. A shovel and few mins later it was just that ;( to this day i have no idea what it was .... i felt very sorry for it because if left alone it would of headed towards the shrubs, and if i had known what i know now and felt the way i do now i would have prevented it from happening, even if it meant i losing my income for the day.

just asking not trying to be smart, but do you know how to hold the head correctly?has anyone shown you how to do it?as I see in that hold the snake could still turn its head and bite you thats all.....i was taught finger (one being my thumb )either side of head and one finger on top of head ,that way snakes head is restricted and as safe as it can be in that hold .....(still a risky movement and SHOULD NEVER be done by anyone that isnt a permit /ven keeper holder);)otherwise glad you saved the bugger from the club weilding cavemen:evil:

just asking not trying to be smart, but do you know how to hold the head correctly?has anyone shown you how to do it?as I see in that hold the snake could still turn its head and bite you thats all.....i was taught finger (one being my thumb )either side of head and one finger on top of head ,that way snakes head is restricted and as safe as it can be in that hold .....(still a risky movement and SHOULD NEVER be done by anyone that isnt a permit /ven keeper holder);)otherwise glad you saved the bugger from the club weilding cavemen:evil:
Yep that's the right way. With either side of it's head and a finger on top. Great job for saving mate.

nice looking snake tho! ive never seen one so big in the wild

more pics dude!

ive never had the chance to rescue one like that, you jus pin the head down (not hurting it ofcourse) and then grab itshead as mentioned before?

Largeheaded,

Most definitely not! It's not as easy as it looks and there isn't much room for error. If it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong normally.

Whilst this isn't intended as a lesson in head restraints, two finger grips (pictured) are far safer and easier on the snake than three finger grips or death grips.

Attachments

• BROWNMILK.jpg
    BROWNMILK.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 93
  • headrestraint.jpg
    headrestraint.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Ska! I mean that! RBBS are my favorite aussie snake and that you took that risk to save one from the bane of my existence (ignorace and stupidity), is just tops!! I would gladly buy you a beer or 3 for doing that mate, good on ya!

nice looking snake tho! ive never seen one so big in the wild

more pics dude!

ive never had the chance to rescue one like that, you jus pin the head down (not hurting it ofcourse) and then grab itshead as mentioned before?

Don't even bother trying to do unless you've been trained. As bad as it sounds i would much rather a snake be killed than a person trying to do the right thing be killed. Do not try and save a snake unless you know exactly what you are doing, your life and health is far too important.

I don't care what anyone says, head restraints are the most dangerous way to restrain a snake. You have no room for error and if you mess up you will get bitten.

skakavacjakovac, you did a good job well done. I'm itching to see those other pics.

thats a gorgeous snake, would have been such a shame if some moron had killed it! :(

i second the more pics call! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back