Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks will go to the petshop and see what they have :)

- - - Updated - - -

Would it be ok to use sand for a spotted python? Not too sure on their native habitat except for they apparently like rocky outcrops and crevices, which i have setup in the tank just so i have an idea of what i want it to look like but i have no substrate, as of yet. So can i use sand or do i go with bark or of that coconut stuff :)

Hello all,Wanting to get a snake and thinking either of these two, i am new to snakes and am only 15 and was wondering which would be better for me, right now i have an aquarium that is 90 or 91 cm long, is this big enough for a carpet? Which do you think would be better for me?Cheers

hey James welcome to the forum,
you can find plenty on information here that will expand your knowledge on keeping healthy and happy pythons.
I love all snakes but have always personally preferred carpets over antareisa (spotted, children and stimpson). I was thirteen when I got my first snake it was a carpet python. Now 16 I have 11 carpets. aquariums arn't the best for pythons as they loose heat a reptile enclosure or vivarium would be a better choice you can pick up second hand one for quiet cheep.
P.s Jungle and Darwin carpet pythons grow to around 6ft after 4 years (sounds large but it really isn't)
Bredlis and Coastals can grow alot bigger +10ft so make sure you do your research before grabbing the first thing that catches your eye.
Best of luck Liam

- - - Updated - - -

That would be good if you could send a pic lawra :) and i really like the looks of the murray darlings, mainly the pattern and the big heads :) but im not too sure that mum is too keen on a snake that can get to around 2 meters :p
when purchasing a snake, make sure it is placid. let your mum hold it and teach her how to be comfortable. My mum shat her pants when she knew i was getting a snake that could grow 2m now that 2m snake is my mums favourite she loves taking it out and giving it a "pat" :facepalm:silly women. another quick piece of advice, dont give your snake to much space when i got my first snake i had a tiny hatchy in a massive enclosure without a thermostat. (everyone makes mistakes when learning) I thought I was being nice to it giving it lots of room to stretch out. I now realise I could of avoided a lot of bites if i had that snake in a 7L sistenima tub as it was very stressed.

I personally have never used sand for my pythons as I found kritters krumble (bark stuff) to work just fine. I don't know if sand would be safe or not but I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help

Personally I would never use sand, but I hear it works for some people. I don't like how non-absorbent it is, and I also don't like how it sticks to food (can cause serious issues if ingested). Also to me, it just seems like an abrasive option for your reptile to live in, though that's probably just my own bias :D

I love Kritters Krumble, and Purachips, if I'm looking for a loose substrate. Loose substrates can be good, because they allow you to spot clean (remove only the soiled portion when doing a quick clean), and they allow your critter to burrow a little and push the substrate around to suit themselves. One of my snakes seems to have an aversion to loose substrate, whenever I've tried it he refuses to climb down onto the floor of his enclosure and stays tightly wrapped around his branch, so for him at the moment I'm just using newspaper. I plan to upgrade him to marine carpet soon.

It all just depends what works for you and your snake though, so try different things and see what you and your critter like!

x

That would be good if you could send a pic lawra and i really like the looks of the murray darlings, mainly the pattern and the big heads but im not too sure that mum is too keen on a snake that can get to around 2 meters

Sorry for taking ages to send you a pic. I only just realised that you replied!

Here are some pics. I can't take credit for the construction but I know it definitely works well. I can put my probes into the tank along one edge of the tank because it's not a completely snug fit inside but is still escape proof because of the lip.

Hope this helps :)

Top:

2urumege.jpg

Bottom:

e3eterus.jpg

Angle to show lip:

puzararu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back