Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dames1978

Reaction score
just though i would throw the question out there to all u crazy ven keepers.....

have u been tagged and what by?
when did it happen?
how much did it hurt?
and have u got any pics?

cheers
damian

yeah would be great to know. also, can you buy your own antivenin or do u have to go to hospital.
i.e For legal reasons (I think i remember hearing that it's just like the venom to a person if they havent been bitten in the first place)

Garth was bitten by a copperhead many years ago. Doesn't keep vens now.
Went to Bowral hospital....the anti venom nearly killed him!!

Little Whip Snake, no treatment needed, just stung like a b##ch, and I'm going to have to pay more attention to what I'm doing when assist feeding baby Tigers, them little fangs are sharp :oops:

On the anti venom side of things, the stuff is REALLY expensive, it has a shelf life and lots of people have a reaction to it. Basically, you get bitten - go to hospital.

I'd also suggest knowing the right First Aid for snakebites Elapid!

Brian Bush was tagged on the hand a few years ago I believe. Unsure of the details....I do know he has a scar from it.

1/2metre small eyed snake... I was barely envenomated, just had swelling and a sleepless night thinking every lttle pain was the beginning of something nasty...serves me right for free handling...also been nipped by a drysdalia rhodogaster, but that did nothing to me...
always been careful with the more dangerous ones.

someone close to me was bitten by a small copperhead on valentines day 2002.
her stupid partner handed her the bag with the snake it and her little finger went,accidently, under the knot..she was in frankston icu for three days and her vision will probably never be the same.
i was bitten in 19791980 in the barmah forest by a black snake,it was a dry bite i think , but at echuca hospitol they gave me antivenom and that made me sick for a couple of days,
been bitten by little and whitelip whipsnakes as well .just like a bee sting, very itchy afterwards
yes it hurts and no i got no pics
baz

I have had a couple love bites over the years but nothing too bad. This nip from a hatchling king brown needed surgery.

ouchy :shock:

her stupid partner handed her the bag with the snake it and her little finger went,accidently, under the knot
did she know what was in it? Seems like an odd valentines gift :|

I think I saw an episode on tv of 'Snake buster Bruce George' get tagged by a curl snake...

Made him seriously ill apparently.

Re: RE: whos been tagged by a VEN???

AntaresiaLady said:
I'd also suggest knowing the right First Aid for snakebites Elapid!

Ok Ok, I forgot to mention that bit, so the amended versions reads - Basically, you get bitten - Apply correct snake bite first aid and then get to hospital. :D

I was bitten on my pinky by a medium sized Yellow-faced Whipsnake. Stung for about 20 mins, you could feel the venom sitting under the surface of the skin - it felt very hot, painful and itchy. Was fine after about 30-45 mins though.
Was bitten on the finger by a Suta dwyeri once. The bite did not hurt at all. But little did i know he had left his fang in my finger. A couple of days later it got a tiny bit infected and hurt for a couple of days.. nothing major though.
Was also bitten on the fingernail by a juvenile Yellow-faced Whipsnake once, not sure if that counts?
I was also once bitten on the ankle by a Garden Wolf Spider when i was a bit younger. I was walking through 2ft high grass down near the local creek with no socks on, and he managed to find his way into my shoe. No real pain except for the initial bite. Very, very itchy with a bit of redness for the next 30 mins or so, then pretty much back to normal.

LOL Elapid- I was just being a smart ass :)

MrB- you sound like you've been in the wars...and lucky!

None of those species are at all dangerous. I handle dangerously venomus species alot differently, and hence havn't come close to being bitten by something that could really do me some damage.

Yes, in fact i have been thinking about taking up skydiving or bungee jumping. Anyone keen? :)

I think people take the little old yellow faced whip snake a bit lightly, some people have quite bad reactions to their venom, i know of several people who have been bitten by them and have been pretty sick for 2 or 3 days, obviously they aren't going to kill you but it seems more people react to their venom then other types of snakes.
On the other hand i've know people who have had very little effects.

I've never been bitten by any venomous snake, a few close calls but other than that i've been lucky, though i don't take risk while handling, just straight to business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back