Whose snake is the biggest wuss?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
My 7 month old Stimson is the biggest wuss in the whole wide world when it comes to shedding.

Basically he goes in to hiding for 9 or 10 days before he sheds. He does not move out of his hide. I would think he was dead if he didn't stick his head out when we offer food.

At the moment he is shedding once every 6 weeks. This baically means that a third of the time he is in hiding.

I hear about snakes that just shed out of the blue and their owners don't even know they were about to.

I would challenge anybody to a competition to the worlds wussiest snake.

My snake is awesome he lets me handle him even when he's shedding and he's super friendly

My snake is awesome he lets me handle him even when he's shedding and he's super friendly

I'm only a newbie keeper but as I understand it, handling during shed can cause damage and is best avoided.

I'm only a newbie keeper but as I understand it, handling during shed can cause damage and is best avoided.

They become more aggressive when shedding. And only reason I was handling him was cause I didn't know he was at the time

My 7 month old Stimson is the biggest wuss in the whole wide world when it comes to shedding.

Basically he goes in to hiding for 9 or 10 days before he sheds. He does not move out of his hide. I would think he was dead if he didn't stick his head out when we offer food.

At the moment he is shedding once every 6 weeks. This baically means that a third of the time he is in hiding.

I hear about snakes that just shed out of the blue and their owners don't even know they were about to.

Steve doesn't like arm or leg hair and until recently wouldn't be interested in a meal item if it had too much fur. He's funny to watch. He also gets cranky if I don't attend to the poop in his enclosure right away. He's such a character and a total princess. I love him :)

They become more aggressive when shedding. And only reason I was handling him was cause I didn't know he was at the time

"They" being...? My woma has never been what I would call aggressive.

"They" being...? My woma has never been what I would call aggressive.

In general most snakes are aggressive when shedding because their already bad eye sight is worsened by yer caps

Do your snakes actually come out of their hides while in shed?
I'm sure if I took the hide out and just picked my snake up he wouldn't be aggressive. He just doesn't want to come out so I leave him be.

You are all going to feel like I have ruined the party but that isn't really the intention.

This all sounds very normal. It is normal for a snake to hide during this time as before they slough their skin is highly sensitive and can be torn easily. Their vision is also impaired. The whole process takes roughly 10 days and so I don't expect to see any of mine during that time.

In the wild where predation is high I wouldn't expect to see any snake out in the open if too long unless they really needed to.

As for the owners in most cases I have read on here, they are either unobservant, new to the hobby or the darkening phase is subtle, eg GTP.

I wouldn't really call it aggression. As I said the skin is sensitive and prone to tearing. If the new skin underneath is not ready this can lead to scars, infections, splitting, etc. They just want to be left alone in their safe place which can sometimes seem like aggression if you end up with a quick defensive bite, hiss, or headbutt.

Do your snakes actually come out of their hides while in shed?
I'm sure if I took the hide out and just picked my snake up he wouldn't be aggressive. He just doesn't want to come out so I leave him be.

Yeah mine doesn't spend much time in his hide, but used it during his last shed (the one I got to see) to rub against.

I handled mine a little bit during the last one to give him a bath, but that was moreso me being a helicopter mum and not trusting he'd manage on his own (rookie mistake).

And now for some fun, one of mine doesn't particularly like the grass, and goes to great efforts to hold himself off it. So when I sit down next to him, he slithers straight onto my lap and around my arms. It makes me understand how people can think there is a bond. In fact that is what is happening in my avatar pic.

And now for some fun, one of mine doesn't particularly like the grass, and goes to great efforts to hold himself off it. So when I sit down next to him, he slithers straight onto my lap and around my arms. It makes me understand how people can think there is a bond. In fact that is what is happening in my avatar pic.

Steve's not the only one! I took him out onto the lawn for the first time a few days ago and got a funny vid of him trying to hover over the top. I think it will just give me greater incentive to mow more often lol.

He then slithered over my foot and halfway up my leg. I was standing up taking photos of him and it reminded me of a puppy wanting to be picked up.

Its not my snake thats the wuss, it's me. I would love to take my boy outside into the sunlight and let him feel the grass, but there are at least a half dozen kookaburras live on the property and they like to hang out on the power line near the house, I have visions of my jacob being whisked away:shock:

I have a really aggressive gecko that I never hold. It always bites me and tries to leap onto the wall.(its one of the ones who have "sticky" feet) I took him outside one day to take some pictures. he was still chewing on me when there was a gust of wind, he intently stopped and hugged my finger for dear live. To this day I can just blow on him:), and he calms down.

haha that's so funny, my bloke kinda does the same thing, rather he tries to go between the blades of grass, doesnt really work for him tho, he's too big...and as far as shedding goes, dunno how you could miss that they're about to shed, Davinci has never been aggressive, but I never disturb him once he cant see me, but I do always help finish his shed coz he's always in such a hurry to get it off that he nearly always tears the shed about 10cms from the end of his tail.

It makes me understand how people can think there is a bond. .

In the past I've worked with snakes in public education. A frequent response of snakes being handed over to 'strangers' is that they come straight back to the handler if they are close by....??

Not an answer, just a question :)

Guys i win, my spotty is such a wuss when he feeds he doesnt even attack the fuzzies, he also hides 24/7 behind a hide rock at the very back of the enclosure. luckily he is great to handle when taken out, he just goes straight under my shirt though (anther wuss move)

In the past I've worked with snakes in public education. A frequent response of snakes being handed over to 'strangers' is that they come straight back to the handler if they are close by....??

Not an answer, just a question :)

I think they do show a bond today when my room mate asked to see my snake to get over her fear (I was kinda reluctant) i took the opportunity to clean out his water and when I moved away he kinda stuck his head towards me as if he didn't want me to leave

I think they do get used to person as being their person, my jungle will happily stay on me, but if I offer him to my middle son , he won't go, but when my youngest son is close to me, he'll slither on over to him quite happily, so he has a preference,, and he likes the dogs lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back