Why are Geckos so expensive ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardtb

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im thinking of getting into keeping geckos and have noticed that the price range is a very steep curve from $120 compared to beardies and the such.

This question may have been asked or answered before so i apologise for repeating it.

I just cant work it out.

I hope someone can explain, i might be having a blonde moment.

cheers

Supply vs demand I guess

Standard beardies have flooded the market as every man and their dog breeds them...so in their case, theres way more supply than demand, and they have to be sold cheeper.

Geckos are popular with girls. Girls are popular with boys. Has a similar effect as expensive jewels

why are macaws so expensive?
people like them, they're pretty, a bit rare, etc.

....lol...any one else notice you're basically saying...supply vs demand!

Sorry, but It really is that simple.

Small clutches + increasing popularity = higher prices.
But it also depends on the species.

Then there's that fact that they are just so cute! hence why I am getting one in about a month :D

Wait wait geckos are some of the cheapest reptiles around and you think they are expensive?! Just because beardies have flooded the market, I think you'll find other than blueis and the most popular snakes finding a reptile cheaper than a gecko is pretty hard.

It's because a lot of people breeding them have put a lot of time into their projects some geckos are rare as such as sheai and banded asper so are harder to come buy and demand a higher price also most geckos will live just as long as most other lizards/snakes

1 female gecko might give you 4 or 5 clutches per year , normally around 8 eggs if your lucky , so $1000.00 or $750.00 if I sell them in lots of 2 like I normally do.
I spend about $400.00 a year on food , I spent a few $1000 on racks , heating might be $100 or so a year , sand bags twice a year cost me $40.00 , vermiculite and perlite $20.00 , incubator running costs might be another $100 a year , I spend at least an hour or two most days cleaning or feeding etc so $125.00 for one of my very nice little geckos is pretty cheap IMO ;)

1 female gecko might give you 4 or 5 clutches per year , normally around 8 eggs if your lucky , so $1000.00 or $750.00 if I sell them in lots of 2 like I normally do.
I spend about $400.00 a year on food , I spent a few $1000 on racks , heating might be $100 or so a year , sand bags twice a year cost me $40.00 , vermiculite and perlite $20.00 , incubator running costs might be another $100 a year , I spend at least an hour or two most days cleaning or feeding etc so $125.00 for one of my very nice little geckos is pretty cheap IMO ;)

They're a down right steal by that cost break down mate :) and yes your's are pretty little geckos

Define expensive? I think most reptiles are not that expensive anymore even a 16 year old at macas could save enough to buy a green python or albino darwin. And most geckos go for well under that.

Geckos are popular with girls. Girls are popular with boys. Has a similar effect as expensive jewels
]Hahahahah so true! I gave a breeding pair of Levi's away after 1 clutch for a packet of smokes lol. Personally there not for me but I love looking at other peoples and the joy they get out of them

Cheers me!

Last edited:
because geckos are more delicate than beardies and blueys.
how on earth is $120 expesnive lmao.
marbled geckos are $20 sometimes, check them out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back