Why are geckos so expensive?`

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottRamsay

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a small reptile or insect to put in an aquarium I was no longer using that was cheap. So I thought of geckos. But when I looked into prices they were atleast 100 dolars. Why are these things that are so small, costing so much? Are they just hard to breed or are they rare or something?

$100 is expensive? god i have spent $800 on a bird $800 on a snake and loads more. Maybe you should get a stick insect? cheap and easy.

Not all gecko's are $100, Marbled etc are like $20each. I personally wouldn't pay $200-300 for a gecko (no offense gecko keepers) Someone on this forum payed a few thousand for a rare pair of gecko's a few months ago I think though,

Scott,

Have a think about it, I'll use thick tail geckos as an example. You can buy these guys for around $70 dollars each, Now he breeder has to of fed the parents to get them to breeding size, has to used their time to look after them and then once the animals lay which is only about 6 - 10 babies a year he has to feed them, Hatchlings eat alot and food isn't cheap. All of this aside though it comes down to what people are willing to pay, if people would only pay $20 each then thats all they would be worth, hats why N. wheeliri (cant spell) are so expensive because their isn't many and people are willing top pay $8k a pair of hatchlings.

Also if your after a cheap gecko go buy a a marble gecko they cost about $30 dollars each.

Hope that helped

Scorps

I've got marbled geckos and they're easy as to care for and i got mine for $40 each.
You can get them from about $25-$50 depending on size, age and colouration.

Jess

$100 is expensive? god i have spent $800 on a bird $800 on a snake and loads more. Maybe you should get a stick insect? cheap and easy.

Or ants. But if you get ants you'll need ant rid, then it gets a little pricey.

$100 is cheap, some species can fetch a couple of grand

I know how much other animals cost, I was just curiouse why these reptiles are more than what I expected. Seeing as they are so small and don't need a massive enclosure.

Scott,

Have a think about it, I'll use thick tail geckos as an example. You can buy these guys for around $70 dollars each, Now he breeder has to of fed the parents to get them to breeding size, has to used their time to look after them and then once the animals lay which is only about 6 - 10 babies a year he has to feed them, Hatchlings eat alot and food isn't cheap. All of this aside though it comes down to what people are willing to pay, if people would only pay $20 each then thats all they would be worth, hats why N. wheeliri (cant spell) are so expensive because their isn't many and people are willing top pay $8k a pair of hatchlings.

Also if your after a cheap gecko go buy a a marble gecko they cost about $30 dollars each.

Hope that helped

Scorps

Yeah that did help thanks. I'll haveto look into this marble gecko.

I know how much other animals cost, I was just curiouse why these reptiles are more than what I expected. Seeing as they are so small and don't need a massive enclosure.

Whats size got to do with the cost of an animal? just because they are small does not make them any cheaper to keep.

Also geckos only lay 2 eggs per clutch and they may have a few cutches in a seaosn but thats that many to flood the market and drop the price

$100 is alot for a gecko??
People spend this just buying their lunches at work or a night out on the turps and don't think twice.

I don't think a few hundred is even expensive for some species, it all depends what you want and how much you are willing to spend. You have to understand that you don't buy reptiles by the kilo. The price comes down to a number of factors- cost of keeping, clutch size, ease of breeding, rarity, supply and demand just to name a few.

$100 is alot for a gecko??
People spend this just buying their lunches at work or a night out on the turps and don't think twice.
$100 dolars for lunch? Where are you shopping. Besides, I don't think people understand what I am saying. I said ATLEAST 100 dolars. That meaning $100 to whatever the most expensive is.

*** GUYS!!Are use all calling $100 bucks expensive!!Over here we have to pay $250-$300 on a single knob tailed gecko!and $150-$180 on a single thick tailed gecko!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back