Why do so many people have a hatred towards JAGS???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May I remind everyone that a certain member on here who has a lot of power on this site owns Jags...
My guess is it wont be long until this is tucked away into the cupboard of other closed Jag debates.

Don't know who you mean but it's totally irrelevant. The OP asked a question he is getting his answers.

IMO, the main reason is that some "snake people" think that by keeping lines pure, that it in some way instills them with nobility, or somehow makes them special. I think the main reason some folks hate them SOOO much, is that their illegally poached (or directly decended from), locality specific animals are no longer the centre of attention.

Fishing rod... check
Fishing line... check
Hooks and sinkers... check
The word JAG for bait... check

sweet.. lets go fishing.....

IMO, the main reason is that some "snake people" think that by keeping lines pure, that it in some way instills them with nobility, or somehow makes them special. I think the main reason some folks hate them SOOO much, is that their illegally poached (or directly decended from), locality specific animals are no longer the centre of attention.

You may be correct, but I'm not keen on ppl breeding any animal that has an obvious disorder, not matter how good looking they are.

Then again I'm not a vigilante so ppl do what they want to, we're all different.

there's also the simple fact that...
people don't have to like them.

I don't see why that's such a big problem for others.
I admit the constant need to say you do or don't like them, however, is the annoying thing.

You may be correct, but I'm not keen on ppl breeding any animal that has an obvious disorder, not matter how good looking they are.

Then again I'm not a vigilante so ppl do what they want to, we're all different.

Very well said Darlyn (it feels a bit forward of me to call you that. ) I recently had a friend round, one of the more vigorous and anti-jag people and pro-pure you'll ever meet, his argument was as yours is, a problem with this disorder. Like anything though, it is not black and white, no matter how hard people argue to the contrary. Do I believe jags with severe neuro should be bred from, no. As a matter of degrees though, as all jags have the potential to display symptoms, it is the minority that show severe syptoms, and I have yet to see conclusive evidence (or any for that matter) that jags with minor to no symptoms have any reduction in quality of life whatsoever. My first hand personal (albeit limited) experience would indicate that they do not, or are not suffering. I am not so proud though, to be incapable of admitting error should someone prove me conclusively wrong.

I admit the constant need to say you do or don't like them, however, is the annoying thing.

Amen CDB!

Snake Whisperer why is it forward to call me by my name?

Ha ha CDB that quote would sit nicely in the anti gay american thread

Last edited:
hands up if you think jags are just ugly......even rpm's or rp's or whatever you want to call em.....i just dont like the look of them. JMO

I had a Jag once for about 2 months until one day it started doing "back*****" with his head and he couldn't focus and it just looked terrible and I couldn't stand to look at him without feeling bad. Imo, Jags can be nice looking snakes but I will never get another one because I can't stand to watch them go through their issues. Why breed jags when you know how they will be affected?

Do people really care more about the money than the quality of their animals? It is a sad thing to think about but it seems like it is getting more and more common every day.

I had a Jag once for about 2 months until one day it started doing "back*****" with his head and he couldn't focus and it just looked terrible and I couldn't stand to look at him without feeling bad. Imo, Jags can be nice looking snakes but I will never get another one because I can't stand to watch them go through their issues. Why breed jags when you know how they will be affected?

Do people really care more about the money than the quality of their animals? It is a sad thing to think about but it seems like it is getting more and more common every day.

Wow, that's sad. Didn't you know what could happen?

There will always be a market for something different and we would be foolish to think that other snakes wont be bred for colour
These will be designer snakes if I can use that term
It appears that some top designer morelia will be on the market fairly soon
If I was looking at Jags I would hold off
For if these ones are potentially as good as they could be
Jags will quickly be forgotten

I did know what could happen but when I bought it, I said "it won't happen to me, it won't happen to my snake" but it did. I bought it from a well known breeder over here and I just thought it wouldn't happen to me. Simple as that. Since than, I have done so much research on them and I really do think that every Jag has the neuro issue gene in them and that they only display it during times of stress. Once they are stressed enough, it is only then that they start acting up. That is what I think.

Snake lovers and money/prestige seeking grubs are two different things. Not pointing any fingers, this time.:twisted:

OMG! I just you-tubed JAG snakes and it has broke my heart! :(
I saw a snake snap for a mouse and it snapped its own body and started coiling around itself while the mouse remianed untouched next to him. For ages he still held his own body in his mouth.
now i know why people hate the creation of these poor snakes :(

This is a debate that wont go away yes they might be pretty but why breed or buy a snake who has faulty genes that cant be bred out and there are people that specifcly breed jags anyway this topic has been done so many times

Do people really care more about the money than the quality of their animals? It is a sad thing to think about but it seems like it is getting more and more common every day.[/QUOTE]

lMO yes some people do really care more about money than the quality of their Animals, like you say it is a sad thing to think about, l myself couldn't agree more with what you have said here in your post,( Morelia4life ) l'm with you well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back